Thursday, March 1, 2007

"Binky In Trash!"

My little Olivia is growing up! No, she hasn't started using the potty yet, although that is our next big feat. She has gotten rid of her binky... and she did this all on her own! Adam and I bought her a baby doll high chair and told her that when she threw her binky away, she could have it. We kept reminding her for a little over a week and last night she suddenly walked up to Adam and said "Binky in trash!" We ran over to the trash and there it was... her blue binky in the midst of dirty diapers. Adam and I got really excited and gave her hugs and told her what a big girl she was. Then Adam handed her one more binky, her yellow and most favorite one. She looked at it, put it in her mouth for a few seconds (had to get one last use out of it), then threw it away as well. Olivia was so excited to throw her binkys away, so much in fact that we weren't sure she really understood what she was doing and anticipated a meltdown at bedtime. But Adam put together her high chair and she has not let it leave her sight since. She even fed her baby doll spaghetti (real spaghetti, mind you) in it. Look at the joy on her face!
By the way, at bed time she didn't ask for her binky until I was leaving the room. She said "Binky in trash?" and I said "Yeah, you were a big girl and threw your binkys in the trash." I held my breath waiting for the wailing to start but all I heard was... a giggle. I told her good night and didn't hear from her again until 8am. What a relief!

No comments: