Tuesday, February 27, 2007

100 Things About Me

I'm not sure how long it will take me to finish a post like this. I read my sister-in-law Sarah's blog and she had done this list about herself. It really was awesome to read and get to know more things about her. It is refreshing, for me at least, to open up like this since I usually talk about my kids all the time and not really myself. It gives me a chance to re-examine who I am and get to know myself better (since I think I am really going to have to search for 100 things about me).

1. I am a triplet. I put this as number one because I think being a triplet makes me who I am on a daily basis and defines me in a way, even though growing up I always wanted to be defined as an individual. Now I see how being a triplet makes me who I am, even as an individual.
2. I am addicted to certain things: namely Diet Dr. Pepper, television, kissing my kids, instant messaging and sleeping. They need to create a support group for people like me.
3. The first thing I do when I wake up is turn the computer on. I don't know why, but I feel like I am connected to the rest of the world when it is on, and I actually get giddy when it says I have email even if it is spam.
4. I am scared to fly, although I do it all the time (really, what are my options when I live on the east coast and everyone else lives in the west?)
5. My cell phone goes every where with me- the shower, the car, when I'm sleeping, etc. I'm really not that popular, but I think it goes back to that "feeling connected" thing.
6. When I am mad at someone I give them the silent treatment, and I am really good at it. It's not a good thing, but it's just how I react to stress mixed with anger.
7. I never leave the house without eye liner and lipstick on.
8. I graduated from BYU in August 2002 with a BS in Marriage, Family and Human Development.
9. I used that degree to get a job as a social worker for the State of Utah for 2 years before we moved to Cleveland. That was a hard job, dealing with child abuse, and to this day I get mad when someone even jokes about it.
10. I cry every time I hear the National Anthem.
11. Every week I have to watch Desperate Housewives, 24, Lost, The Office, and Grey's Anatomy. Everything else is Tivo'd so I can watch them later if I don't see them on time.
12. I love Cleveland but I hate being so far from family and friends.
13. Someone once told me they loved my eyebrows so ever since then I have plucked them religiously.
14. I hate chewing gum. It makes me gag. And I hate nylons. They make me gag too.
15. In my life I have worked at See's candies (free chocolate!), at Old Country Buffet as a busser and a cashier, at Wendy's, at Papa Murphy's, at a group home for troubled teens, as a telemarketer for American Express and Ancestry.com, and as a social worker for the State of Utah. Don't judge me for the telemarketing stint. I still hang up on them too.
16. I love to sing but I don't think I'm very good. I just sound good in the shower and in a choir. 17. I miss Lakes Dance Team. Those were my greatest times in high school (which looking back on, I didn't really like). I loved the rush of performing and dancing and knowing I was actually good at something.
18. In my dream house I will have a shower with a rainshower spout, a bathtub that I can actually fall asleep in, a bathroom with counters, a walk in closet, a kitchen bigger than my walk in closet, a king size bed, and a grand piano. Adam, are you writing this down?
19. Every day I look forward to getting the mail because sometimes there is something in there for me that is not junk or bills. I subscribe to 4 magazines just so I can get mail (among good parenting and craft advice).
20. My dream vacation includes a cruise somewhere warm or Disneyland/DisneyWorld. My honeymoon was Disneyland and I loved it.
21. I love to read and have read every book in this house. I need to get a library card so I don't go insane reading Harry Potter for the umpteenth time. (Although I am so excited for the final book to come out July 21!)
22. My favorite color to wear is black. It sounds depressing, but it's true. I have a black shirt in almost any style, and my idea of dressing up is wearing pink pants or grey slacks... with a black shirt. If it's not black, it's navy or dark brown or grey. I need some color in my life, huh?
23. I have to shower, dry and straighten my hair, and put on some makeup every day, even if I am not going anywhere. But I'll stay in my pajamas instead of getting dressed any day.
24. I am not a patient person, which is something I'll always have to work on.
25. I am an airhead. Ask my father.
26. I go to parties mainly for the food. The interaction and entertainment are just bonuses.
27. I've never made a loaf of bread without the use of a bread making machine. My neighbor is showing me sometime how to make bread so I can feel the part of a Mormon housewife. Or a human being. Whatever.
28. I slam doors when I am mad. If there are no doors present, I slam whatever is in reach, like cups into the sink (plastic cups!) or a book across the room. Again, something I'm working on. 29. I have a love/hate relationship with surprises. I hate trying to keep them from people and I hate it when I know there is a surprise and I can't know what it is, but I love giving and receiving them at the same time.
30. I miss my dog Penny. I still cry when I remember the day we had to put her to sleep. See? I'm tearing up already...
31. I don't have a favorite food. I always get that question on those "Get to know me" things but I always answer differently. I love Asian, Mexican, Italian, comfort foods, chocolate, etc. I do have to say, however, that deep fried foods usually win the day in each category.
32. I'm a people watcher. Adam and I can sit in a mall or restaurant and say nothing to each other for along time, just watching other people. That's where the people watching ends, though. No criminal activity for me.
33. I have to sleep with pajama pants and a shirt, no matter how hot I am.
34. I don't remember what my natural hair color looks like.
35. One of my biggest downfalls are projects. I have started so many projects (scrapbooking, journaling, typing all my recipes in one file, needlework, and so on) and I have yet to actually finish any of those, or make a dent in them. The prospect of doing so exhausts me.
36. I hate speaking in public. I feel like I can't breathe before and after I have to speak in church or even relief society.
37. I don't like ice cream, except when I am pregnant.
38. I love the Christmas season, the whole hustle and bustle of things, the smells in the mall of cinnamon almonds and snow, and the joy and excitement on faces old and young. It's my fave. 39. I hate snow and won't drive in it unless I have to.
40. The summer before my senior year in high school I went to England, France, Germany and Denmark as a student ambassador with the People to People program. It was awesome to see the Eiffel Tower, dance in a German discoteque, and eat liver pate.
41. I refuse to go to my high school 10 year reunion, although my sisters will make me go.
42. My little brother, Kory, is currently serving an LDS mission in Louisville, Kentucky. He is the closest family living to me and I can't even go see him. I can't wait until Christmas when he will be home.
43. I love road trips (although I sleep a lot if I'm not driving).
44. I like soda out of the fountain more than I do out of a can.
45. I wish I lived closer to my family, and I miss my sisters tremendously. We talk on the phone at least once a day about nothing at all.
46. I love my in-laws. Some people don't get along with theirs so I must have lucked out. My sister-in-laws are awesome and I miss all of them. I've only met my 2 brother-in-laws once or twice in the 5 plus years I've been married, though.
47. Chocolate is my weakness and I wish it were part of the South Beach Diet.
48. I know I'm too vocal about this, but I think it sucks that my kids don't get much of a relationship with the rest of their family since we live so far away. That is why vacations are so bittersweet for me. Once they establish any kind of relationship, we have to leave and it breaks my heart.
49. I sometimes forget how old I am.
50. I sometimes forget my kids' names. When Jack was born I called him Bryce or Roman almost every time for at least a week.
51. Speaking of birth, I am totally in love with epidurals. My pain tolerance is so low I'm sure it doesn't even exist, so bring on the meds!
52. I'm a sucker for clearance sales. I'll buy things I probably don't even need just because it is such a good deal. Who can pass up $2 pants?!
53. Everything in life can relate to an episode of "Friends" and I should know- Adam and I have seen every episode and can quote lines back and forth like a conversation.
54. My favorite smell is my kids when they are out of the bath and have lotion on them.
55. I don't care how annoying she is, I love Rachael Ray. I do not like Oprah.
56. I never raise my hand for a comment, like in class or Sunday School. It goes back to that speaking in public thing.
57. I don't have a tolerance for lots of noise, like when Olivia is talking in ultrasonic voice to Jack while the TV is on full blast and Adam is talking on the phone. I have to end one, which is usually Olivia (she insists on talking so high pitch to Jack that I'm sure only dogs can hear it.)
58. I love fall and the leaves changing and the perfect weather. Spring is too rainy, summer is too humid (in Cleveland it is), and winter is too cold. In Washington, I love summer since it doesn't rain then.
59. I watch Food Network a lot, even if I don't like what the cook is making. I just like to learn technique and new ideas.
60. I hate making cookies but love eating them right out of the oven.
61. I sing in the shower, so Olivia sings in her bath.
62. I have bottle fed both of my children, although I tried to nurse them and will continue to try and nurse all of my kids. I just know that as long as they are eating, I'm happy with my decision.
63. I use sarcasm a lot which doesn't always go over so well.
64. I feel like I have to be involved in everything from craft night to cooking club and music class to choir. I get overwhelmed sometimes but I don't want to miss out on something (or feel left out, I guess).
65. I miss my mother and father a ton. I wish I had spent more time with them when I was living at home, because now I never get to see them and it makes me sad and makes me regret pushing them away as a teenager.
66. I've had migraines since 6th grade. Most of the time I can handle them and just live with them, but every once in a while I get one that floors me. Thank goodness for good medicine.
67. I can't stand clutter, which is funny since my house is always cluttered. I try and keep it as clean as possible, but that is hard in limited space and with a 2 year old who drags everything out into the living room.
68. I don't like ice in my drinks and I have to have a straw at restaurants.
69. I love getting massages but hate giving them.
70. Naturally, my hair is curly. I've only worn it curly once since Adam and I have known each other, and every day I dry and straighten it with a flat iron.
71. I don't like flavored lip gloss, only Chapstick for me.
72. I cry when I have to leave my children for more than a few hours.
73. I love the Puyallup Fair. It reminds me of growing up. I love the smell of the onion burgers and scones and the screams from the thrill rides. It's great.
74. I love thrill rides like roller coasters and rides that drop you. I will never go on a ride or thrill seek that could cost me my life, like bunjee jumping or sky diving.
75. I wear contacts and look forward to affording laser eye surgery.
76. Diets are hard for me as I have no will power. And love chocolate. Add deep fried things.
77. I listen to country music. My fave include Brad Paisley, Carrie Underwood, Martina McBride, Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney, Little Big Town, and Josh Turner.
78. I could eat out every day for the rest of my life and be okay with it. As much as I love cooking, other people's cooking always tastes better especially at a restaurant.
79. My fave restaurants are PF Changs, Red Robin, and California Pizza Kitchen.
80. I laugh every time someone trips and/or falls. If it's really bad, I'll wait and make sure they are okay, then laugh (although there have been times I've laughed anyway and had to hide it so I didn't look mean). Really, it's a natural response.
81. I sing songs even if I don't know the lyrics. That's where I just make them up.
82. I wear size 8 shoes, along with most of the female population so it's impossible to find your size at clearance sales.
83. Speaking of shoes, I love heels. I think they are elegant. Too bad I walk like an ostrich in them.
84. The songs that are stuck in my head are usually songs like"Wheels on the Bus" or "Elmo's Potty Song", thanks to Olivia.
85. I secretly like when my kids are sick because they will cuddle with me more.
86. I still check to make sure my kids are breathing at night, even though they are 5 months and 2 1/2 years old.
87. My favorite moment of the day is when I get Jack out of bed. Never has someone been so excited to see me first thing in the morning.
88. I love to go to the movies. The best part are the previews, though. I will see most any movie, comedies and suspense and dramas and even the sappy ones that make you cry. No gory scenes or horror for me though.
89. I can't remember the last time I actually slept through the night.
90. I have never smoked or drank alcohol. I had opportunities, but it was just easy for me to say no and walk away.
91. I plan out my weeks meals, including sides, so I am not scrambling to make something I won't want to eat later in the week.
92. My favorite color is blue- all shades of it.
93. I find it calming to color.
94. I don't know how to drive a stick. Adam tried to teach me once on his old car, but I couldn't figure it out and probably ruined his car for life. I'm surprised he still married me.
95. My wedding song is "Me and You" by Kenny Chesney. I love that song.
96. I wear "Pink" perfume by Victoria's Secret.
97. I call my parents every Sunday (as well as multiple times through the week for random cooking questions).
98. My favorite shoes are my Saucony tennis shoes. In the summer it is my American Eagle flip-flops.
99. I am addicted to taking pictures, as you all know since you get my Snapfish emails all the time. I haven't printed pictures since Halloween, though, so you imagine how much that will cost.
100. I am more interesting than I give myself credit for.

5 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

#26 is still making me laugh. It is so true! I will get a reminder of a Relief Society function or something and think "I am so not going to that" and then it will say "light dinner served" and the next thing you know I am writing the date on my calander!

Kelli said...

What's so funny is that I'm sitting here at work and randomly laughing at your post, people at work must think I'm strange because nothing about our work is funny...but by the end of your post I was crying because I miss you and your little family.

Sarah Anne said...

I love #100. Yes, you are. I bet you could have written more and are still thinking of things you could have or should have written. I love that you are so dedicated to your family. I loved seeing what we have in common. I loved learning new things about you. Thank you for sharing.

Celeste Pearson said...

Why do you and Kelli always cry? I feel like the worst sister ever! You cried when you read about Roman being sick and I didn't even feel bad (he was going to survive!) and I didn't even get nearly emotional reading your top 100, unless laughing is an emotion (ok, it's an emotion). Come on! Stop being boobs you big boobs (and speaking of boobs Carissa, did you know that Kelli and I are the same size? Our little girl is growing up!).

Stina said...

You should've mentioned you can do the booty dance and you're the best ghetto dancer around! Loved reading them. I'm writing mine in my journal...