Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Why I hate sippy cups

I love how sippy cups "teach" my kids to drink without a bottle and keep them from spilling milk or juice all over the place. I love how they are portable so I can take them in the car, to restaurants, to church, etc.

I hate how they get lost. Who made sippy cups round so they so easily roll under my couches and get lost for days (usually with milk inside... ew).

Anyway, twice in the past week, Olivia has come up crying about how her milk is gross and "hurts" her mouth. I'll open up the sippy cup and out will plop (yes, plop) a solidified and sour clump of milk. And I know I had seen Jack drinking from that same sippy moments earlier. My poor kids! Adam and I even have said that we need to keep better track of sippys or to just give them to the kids at mealtime. Maybe I'll just give them sippys of water except at mealtime or something, because I am sure I'm not doing my children's health any favors by supplying them with the means to drink sour and clumpy milk.

6 comments:

Stina said...

I agree. Jordyn would drink her sippy from the night before when she was little. Then throw it up. For some reason, that doesn't happen to us now. Maybe because my kids are addicted to their warm milk and guzzle it every chance they get!

Kelli said...

They really need square sippys, this happens to us too, and I honestly used to throw sippys away that I found with milk inside because I didn't want to deal with cleaning up the smelly stuff. Ew for Olivia! Ew!

Celeste Pearson said...

I seriously just found a sippy that I can't remember the last time I saw it and it had milk in it. We (I made Bryan help) opened it really fast and stuck it in the dishwasher right before we started it so we didn't have to smell it. Bryce only has like 3 sippys - so if I'm missing one, I know! And poor Livvy - it hurt her mouth? Gross! And Kelli's comment is funny - can't you imagine Pheobe (from Friends) saying the last line?? Haha

Lane family said...

Gross. I'm glad I'm not the only one. The worst is when it's chocolate milk. You should market some square shaped sippy cups- you would make a fortune!

Ana Lee said...

Oh man, that gave me a bad taste in my mouth just thinking about it! Square cups would be a great idea. Good luck keeping track of those cups!

Rachel said...

That is so funny. I remember that happened all the time to my sister's little boy. Those sour milk sippies stink so bad!! That is one reason that I am glad my kids don't like milk. Although I have given my kids fermented juice which they also complain about and I feel terrible when I realize it is like basically feeding them beer or something. Oh well, they are still alive!