Friday, June 6, 2008

No, Jack!


Has anyone else read that book "No, David!" by David Shannon? It's a way cute book that my kids love about this little boy (David) who constantly is in trouble and is told "No" all the time. There are some other books in the series, like "David Gets in Trouble" and "David Goes to School" and in all of his books, David is always making messes, getting into things, and causing problems. In the end, though, he's always told that he is loved by his mother or something like that.

If I had known that writing a book about children misbehaving was going to be award winning, I would have done it a long time ago. Jack is exactly like David and as cute as he is about getting into trouble, I'm having issues with constantly telling him "no" all the time. Here is an example of what I've said today to Jack (and it's not even noon yet).

No, Jack, do not touch the computer!

Stop screaming, Jack!

Don't get in the toilet!

Get your sucker off my couch!

No hitting your sister!

No sitting on your sister!

Don't throw your sippy! (refer to previous post about my loathing with sippies)

No more movies, Jack!

No, no, no! Or at least it seems like that is what I say to him all day long. I'm pretty sure the little guy understands what "no" means, but he relishes getting in trouble and gives me the biggest "I'm too cute to get mad at" grin when I get him off of the computer or out of the bathroom. We've had to child lock our DVD player, pantry, refrigerator, Olivia's room and the bathroom simply because Jack will get into them all the time (and I mean all the time) if they weren't locked. Olivia was so the opposite. She never got into things she wasn't supposed to and hated getting into trouble. Don't get me wrong- Jack is such a good kid and gets along with his sister and every one else just great. He just likes to push the boundaries a lot more than his sister did. Maybe I should write a book... at least I feel like I could based on my own little "David"!

7 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

I remember at Christmas he did the same thing! It was so cute (mostly because it wasn't my child that I had to keep getting out of things). Anyway, write an award winning book and take us all on a fab vacation (I need it - I have a red-headed "David" too!).

Kelli said...

It's just his personality, and I totally know what you mean by his smile that he gives while getting into trouble. Sometimes I feel like I tell my kids "no" all day so I try to say things more positively, like instead of "no hitting" I say "Hayden, how can we show Roman that you don't like that he stole your toy?" just so I'm not always saying no.

Ben and Laurie said...

You could have been famous...

Elise said...

Loved the sippy cup stories, that's so funny! Jack's too sweet to ever get in trouble right?!

Rachel said...

Oh Carissa, he is just normal, Olivia just spoiled you. I'm glad you have Jack so my kids seem somewhat normal:)

Stina said...

I love those books. This post cracks me up. It's how I feel about Kade. My other two are really good about staying close to me and listening. But, Kade? I call his name and he runs the other way. Maybe we should put all our little David's in a room together. Wouldn't that be a sight?

Carrie Anne said...

i do love those books! he sure is cute & it just means it'll get worse as he gets older...sorry to tell you.:) he is just a cute & curious little one.:) good luck! soon he'll be climbing on the counter tops up into the cupboards.:)