Saturday, March 15, 2008

No, I'm not pregnant, that's just a cheesecake in my stomach

Okay, so most of you know I have a recipe blog along with my two sisters and some friends from college. I love this blog, since it's tried and true recipes that we've all come across and share with each other. Usually my weekly menu is picked using these recipes. Most of my desserts (like the lemon blossoms) have been found on my blog as well, contributed by my friends and sisters. Anyone is more than welcome to check it out if they want. We aren't gourmet or anything, but we've had the blog for more than a year so it's full of tons of fun and yummy recipes. And tons of desserts, which I love to bake!

Anyway, my sister shared this recipe with us a while ago, a cheesecake she got from her visiting teacher. I finally made it last week, and can I just say Yum-O?! It really is delicious and we put some sugared strawberries on top for that extra little kick (and putting fruit on desserts is my way of rationalizing that it's nutritious!). And really, it is much better the day after you make it since it takes about 24 hours to set up all the way. And a springform pan is a great buy, if you don't already have one. I love mine, and it was relatively cheap at Target- like $10 or 15 or so.

BEST CHEESECAKE EVER

Crust:
1 pkg Graham Crackers, Crushed
¼ Cup Sugar
¼ Cup Butter, Melted

Mix and press in bottom of 9 inch spring form pan (make sure it is a nice one, not a flimsy one, or the butter in the crust will melt out). Bake at 350 for 6 minutes.

4 Egg whites, Beaten Until Stiff
3 pkgs (8 oz) Cream Cheese, Softened
1 Cup Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla

Cream the sugar, cream cheese and vanilla together. Fold stiff egg whites into cream cheese mixture. Place on top of baked crust and return to oven for 25 minutes.

Topping:

2 Cups Sour Cream
3 Tbsp Sugar
½ tsp Vanilla

Mix topping ingredients together and spread on baked cheese cake. Return to oven and bake an additional 5 minutes at 400. Cool completely before refrigeration.Best if made the day before. (Carefully ream around the edge of cheeses cake with a sharp knife as soon as it comes out of the oven…this will help to keep it from cracking in the center).

4 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

Okay so I've never made the cheesecake but I have eaten it (so tasty!) and I'm thinking that if you can make it then maybe I will try. Wish me luck! (Is it weird I gave you all the recipe and you all have made it more than I have??) Props to my sista for being brave and making yum-o cheesecake!!

Kelli said...

Are you sure you aren't pregnant? =) I will need to make this next time we have the missionaries over, since making a full cheesecake for just Jeremiah and I is probably a really stupid thing to do. Way to give a shout out to our recipe blog!

Garrett said...

I didn't actually read your post, but I felt compelled to say that the cheesecake is fabulous!!!

Rachel said...

I can testify to the fact that the cheesecake was fabulouso! Also, I am definitely getting that chili recipe off your blog. We loved it, it you couldn't tell, I think we all had seconds:)