I know I'm not perfect. I am not the type of mother, like some that I know, who can sit with her kids all day and build blocks and play dolls and read books until bedtime, while also having the time to mop the floor and do the dishes and create a masterpiece of a dinner. No, I am the kind of mother who finds it okay if her kids watch Dora and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse all morning (and how cute is it that Jack almost knows the magic words to open the Clubhouse? He loves to yell "Meeska!"). They don't watch TV all day, but they probably watch more than some other kids. And as much as I love the kiddos, I really look forward to the couple hours each day during their naps that I have for myself. But my kids also get popcorn combos every time we go to Target (which is often), McDonald's Happy Meals every so often (which is not so good for me, but I'll sacrifice the diet), and more hugs and kisses than they can count.
I thought it would be fun to give some numbers about our day:
3- the number of lunches I made for Olivia before she finally decided she wanted what I put in front of her (I know, I'm not a short order cook).
2- the number of naps Jack took for me- yeah!
1- the number of Diet Dr. Peppers I had, although I could have used more
60- the amount of blocks Jack kicked around that I had to clean up
2- the number of outfits I had to change for Olivia who had accidents twice today
5- the number of times I had to put on her Island Princess Barbie dress
4- how many stinky diapers Jack had
0- the amount of hours Olivia slept today
3- how many times we watched 101 Dalmations
200 or so- the amount of toothpicks I had to clean up that Jack knocked down
1- how many toilet paper rolls Jack undid and proceeded to shred
2- how many sugar cookies I had
1- how many slices of cheesecake I had (the diet starts tomorrow!)
62- how many minutes of Lost I was glued to
8- the number of times I have talked to my sisters and brother in the last 24 hours
So, the point of this random post is that at the end of the day my kids know they are loved, even if I have had way too many "worst mother" moments to count on all my fingers and toes. They know that, and it's all that matters, even if I am counting down the minutes until bed time :)



7 comments:
It seems like I have a moment like that almost every day! "Summer, you're such a great mom!" LOL It's okay if we're not perfect, right? Your kids definitely know they are loved!
I think you are a wonderful mom! Life just happens its not you its the kids...lol
This is where losing brain cells comes in so handy! We can just forget all the hard times and mistakes we make--and hopefully our kids will too. I remember thinking with Jordyn--she's still young, hopefully she won't remember this...and this and this. But, she's getting older and those things keep happening! I guess we'll move on to teaching forgiveness. :)
And yes, you are an awesome mom. I love seeing you with your kids and how you laugh or smile when they do something cute. There's no doubt that you are an amazing mom. And, I'm glad you're not the perfect mom or you'd be really hard to be around!
Perfection has been redefined. I AM the perfect mom. I am perfect for my 3 kids. I am what they need at any given moment of the day. (even when I totally screw up! Which is often.) I am the only one who can handle the things that really count. I am certain that I am NOT the perfect mom for any other kids... but I am for these 3, flaws and all. Just like your the perfect mom for Jack and Olivia:)
Hey I was just thinking this the other day! I got mad at my kids for something stupid and went and laid in my bed and thought - what kind of mom am I? I think it is times like this that we become better because we have something to go off of. And, like you, I was glued to 62 minutes of Lost and confused for about 3 minutes of it at the end (I get it now!) and cried for five minutes afterwards! And don't be surprised if I copy your numbered post - I think it is so fun!
I think you are a great mom, probably because my day is quite similar to yours. Although my kids don't mind watching Food Network so we sometimes watch that. I think we all have this grand idea of how mothers should be, like the moms in commercials that are always playing and smiling with super happy kids. But that's not usually the real world and we do what works for us. Which for me means letting my kids go nuts with their toys and watch tv so I can read a book or shower or check my email or whatever. Just having your kids know that they are loved at the end of the day should be enough for us, I know it is for me (oh and it's always a bonus if they'd had a good helping of fruits and veggies too!)
We all have those moments, and anyone who tells you otherwise is selling something:) YOu are a great mom and you have great kids to show for it! We love the Meeska, we can't get enough of it when he comes over. By the way, you should definitely not start a diet, I fear my yummy surprise deserts will drastically decrease:)
Post a Comment