Thursday, September 18, 2008

We live on a farm...

Or at least Jack thinks we do. He is up and ready to go for the day at 5:30am every morning. Yesterday he was up at 4:30am! Seriously, even if we lived on a farm, I don't think the rooster is even up that early. The sun isn't even up! It's a good thing he is so cute or I'd have to give him away until he learned to sleep until at least 7am like his sister!

I looked online for some "advice" which turned out to be the opposite of advice. They all say to put your kids to bed early and they will sleep longer (this is what "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" says too) but for Jack that is impossible. The kid will cry and talk and sing for at least an hour after I put him to bed "early" so in actuality he is going to bed pretty late, like almost 9pm lately. Other "advice" says to put him to bed later so he will sleep later, but isn't that what I'm technically doing anyway? He is supposed to get around 10-11 hours of sleep each night, but he is getting closer to 8, and no, he doesn't make up for it with his nap. Jack has his windows covered in foil (white trash, I know, but it keeps out the sunlight for now and is obviously not working as well as it used to) and sleeps with a fan for white noise. What else is there to do?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Has anyone else been through this? I'm tired of being tired and need some serious help!

10 comments:

Yonker Family said...

Bummer! I would freak out if my child was waking me up at 4:30am.
I really do think the putting them to bed earlier thing does tend to work, even if he stays up for a while after you put him down. Other things I have done for after they wake up in the morning... have a few books and/or toys in the crib so he might entertain himself for a while before getting you up. If possible let him fuss for a while and then maybe he will go back to sleep.
If he hasn't been doing this forever then it might just be a phase brought on by a growth-spurt, which means he might be waking up because he is hungry. You could try making sure he is really well fed right before he goes to sleep and make sure he has a sippy of water with him in his bed. Oh, and make sure he is dressed really warm, for some reason I have noticed that seems to help my kids sleep longer.

Dillon goes through this every so often, it eventually does pass. Good luck.

Also, about those dressed I sent home with Adam, I forgot to send the bloomers for the baby dresses. I will bring them to church on Sunday.

Celeste Pearson said...

I really think putting him to bed earlier is the right thing to do, but it's more than just putting him to bed early - you have to follow a nap schedule that allows you to put him to bed early. Sometimes we put Cole to bed at 6:30 - it's so nice! Call me and I will go over my strategies. And I'm sorry Jack thinks you are on a farm! What a sad story!

Seriously... said...

carson went through a stage like that when we lived in cleveland. I just made sure I had hour long diegos or dorras recorded, or put a baby Einstein on repeat play, put him on the couch with his blanket and went back to bed. he eventually started sleeping longer, but it was a few weeks of very early mornings for a while...

Stina said...

My kids play in their room too until they fall asleep. And especially since the boys are together now. But, we still put them down and eventually they'll crash. Jordyn reads in her room and then turns out the light when she's ready for bed. Good luck. I'd do a sippy with warm milk on days my kids got up too early and hope they went back to sleep. I hope you're not up that early cleaning or anything!!!

Kelli said...

No advice, sorry, my kids aren't interested in waking up that early (who is, besides Jack?!). I've heard of other kids doing this and usually it is just a phase, I like your friend's idea of making sure he's well fed before going to bed, or just ignoring him for a little bit. Maybe call your pediatrician and see what they say??? That's what I would do.

Rachel said...

Jack is such a little stinker! Just kidding we love him anyway. Seriously though I hope he is just teething or something so that he grows out of this little stage really soon. I realized today that that is why Carter has been getting up early the last couple days. He has four teeth breaking through right now. How did I miss that!?

Summer said...

You poor thing! I wish I had some advice for you! I'm no help at all! Good thing he's so darn cute!!!

Nana Lynda said...

Okay, I love Olivia's hair!!

Jack needs DRUGS!! If I am to sleep in the same house hold in a month, he needs to sleep. :)
Just kidding.
He will sleep up with Kelli. She will be up all night anyways.
Love Nana

Carrie Anne said...

rebecca is still this way...not up at 5:30 but still she doesn't & hasn't ever slept as much as she is supposed to. let us know what you learn

Brookie C. said...

AHHHH I hate that too, Cory wakes up at 5 every day. We have come down to time out or back to bed, so some mornings he will sit on time out then finally decide he'd rather be in bed. It is the most annoying thing hu!