Monday, March 11, 2013

Northwest Trek

The kids got free passes to Northwest Trek thank to the Pierce County Library reading program. Last year we used their passes at the Pt Defiance Zoo, but decided to try out Northwest Trek this time. It's right down the road, so it's way closer than the zoo, and we'd never been. We'd heard it's a lot smaller and has a really cool tram ride that shows you different animals. It was definitely smaller, but we had a great time. It wasn't too much walking and it was fun to see the animals that are actually here in the Northwest.
Snowy Owl. I just kept thinking "Hedwig!"

This guy was huge! Adam and I always have a disagreement: When approached by a bear in the wild, do you play dead (Adam says this- I say, of course he wants you to play dead. You'r easier to catch and eat!) or do you make lots of noise and raise your arms up to appear bigger and fiercer? We'll never know...

On the tram ride. It was a lot longer than we thought, but really interesting!

The girls loved looking at all the animals, mostly Olivia though. Madelynn liked switching seats every few minutes and entertaining the other passengers.



I thought the bear was huge, but this guys takes the cake. He was humongous! And his head is massive. There were so many flies around him, I felt bad for him.




Half way through, Jack asked if we were done. I forgot how easily he gets bored, but he was a trooper :)


These guys were amazing, and their antlers were so big! There were at least 8-10 of them hanging around this area.



And she's with Daddy now...


After the tram we ate our picnic lunch and then wandered around. This bald eagle was so majestic. He just sat there and stared at us. He was beautiful!


We had so much fun! The kids really like the zoo and enjoyed Northwest Trek as well. It's a lot more shaded than the zoo, too, so we stayed cool enough. And it's the perfect walking distance. Just enough to not get too tired, but enough to make the kids fall asleep early that night :)

The End :)

No comments: