Monday, November 7, 2011

Week of Fun- Point Defiance Zoo

 Just like last year (and the year before), we had a "week of fun" before school started. Celeste had the idea a couple years ago and we've stuck with it. This year on one of those days, Adam and I took the kids to the zoo. My first year back here after dental school, Celeste had a family pass and we went lots of times for free. This year, since she didn't have one, Adam and I paid to get in and I was amazed how expensive it is to get in when I actually have to pay for it :) The kids had free passes from finishing the library summer reading program so off we went.
Sitting on the statue in the entrance.
Tigers! They were beautiful, but boring. Seriously, roar at me or something!
This year Madelynn kind of actually got the whole animal thing. She understood a little better so it was fun to watch her.
Jack loved watching the monkeys climbing and swinging. He could have been there all day.

There is a bird enclosure that you can go into and buy these seed sticks to feed the birds. Adam and I used to have cockatiels so we love birds. Olivia and Jack bought 2 sticks each because it was so fun. Madelynn thought she was in her own personal horror show.







It was so cool how the birds would just fly up to you. Sometimes they would sit on you or the stick and sometimes they would fight other birds off. They were beautiful, too.

On the way out, we saw a staff member holding this bug. It was some sort of large milipede and it was crawling all over her arms and hands. It was gross but the kids were completely enthralled. We couldn't hold it because it was fragile, though. Not that I wanted to.
Ew.
After seeing all the animals we played at the playground. This is Jack's favorite part. He loves the slides and the climbing, just getting all his wiggles out.

Madelynn in this spinny-thingy. She was so dizzy afterwards she couldn't walk and all I could do was laugh. Of course.
Posing in a "nest". Love my kids!
Olivia started a list of what animals we had seen. She is very much into writing and drawing and she rarely goes somewhere without a notebook in her hands.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

That bird place sounds so cool! That's hilarious that Madelynn hated them:) I miss having a zoo sooo bad!! Even if it is expensive.

Kelli said...

We have millipedes here similar to that, not that I've seen them (yet) but I hear they are something to scream about :) I love the bird thing, I would have loved to see the birds up close like that!

Stina said...

I remember your birds! That was a long time ago. And I love the picture of you--gorgeous. AND--Olivia makes me think of the book "Harriet the Spy". Be careful of what she writes while watching you....