Sunday, November 13, 2011

Week of Fun- Blackberry picking

The Sunday before school started, we met up with the Pearsons to pick some blackberries. The lake at Steilacoom Park is surrounded by blackberry bushes. There are so many of them and most of them are too far back or high to actually get to, but Adam and Bryan didn't let that stop them. We got tons of blackberries (Celeste and I used them to make our own fruit roll-ups later in the week) and we used them for a blackberry cobbler for dinner the next Sunday. It was fun for the kids to get out and run around too.
Yes, we filled that bowl up about 3/4 of the way. And that doesn't include all the blackberries we ate along the way :)
Madelynn brought her own bucket to "fill up". I think the most she had in her bucket at a time was ten, since she ate pretty much everything that went into her bucket.
Another fun thing about the lake are the ducks. There are so many signs telling you not to feed them, but every one does anyway. We just let the kids give them some bread, but the ducks and birds can get pretty agressive so we have to keep an eye on them.
The path around the lake is beautiful. It's also marked as an exact mile, so Celeste and I like to run there.
The kids looking at the ducks. I think it's beautiful.
Jack stole (okay, borrowed) Bryce's scooter.
Adam filling our bowl. He did a great job!
These two frenemies are so cute :)

3 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

You forgot to mention that Adam was wearing the least friendly blackberry picking outfit ever!!

Love you pics by the way. And wish we had more blackberries in season! We have to wait a whole freaking year!!

Kelli said...

Love fresh blackberries! How did your fruit leathers turn out? I love the pics. Miss your kids.

Rachel said...

Great pictures! Looks like such a fun day! It's kind of mean of you to post about blackberry pictures in beautiful weather when it's snowing outside:) I'm already sick of winter and it started today! Savior of the World looks like such a cool experience for you guys. I wish we lived closer and could come see you or better yet that we could be in it together! Hope you guys have a great Thanksgiving!