Sunday, October 23, 2011

Adam turned {32}

Adam had his birthday on August 28 (see, I'm only 2 months behind!). He doesn't really love making a big deal about his birthday. The weekend of his birthday my parents had given us tickets to go see Les Miserables at the 5th Avenue Theatre. We went to Red Robin first for dinner and then to the play. It was a.maz.ing. Seriously, I was in tears twice and it was such an intense show. I love that musical. The songs are so out of this world. I can't say enough. Love. It.
We actually ended up going to his business partner's house on Adam's actual birthday for a dental partner's get-together. We went out on Dr. B's boat and then came back for some appetizers (homemade hot wings with homemade blue cheese dressing!) and then dinner. Adam never mentioned that it was his birthday, but they knew somehow and sang Happy Birthday with candles on a peach cobbler and gave him a Cold Stone gift card.

The next week we did a family party. I made Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes and Key Lime Cupcakes. I had gone to a wedding reception a month earlier and a girl I grew up with (well, my brother grew up with her... I babysat her. I'm so old!) is in pastry chef school and made them. They have a key lime filling and whipped cream topping. They were so good. So I made both, since Adam likes both. It was his birthday.
Enough with the cupcake pictures. I kind of like taking pictures of food. It's weird.
Birthday boy! I couldn't put 32 candles on a cupcake, so he only got 3.
Let me explain (again) this picture. I'm not sure where or when this tradition started (or why, other than my family likes to be loud and obnoxious sometimes), but when we all sing happy birthday, it is not a pretty affair. We are all- all- on a different note, key, what have you. Some sing opera, some sing annoying, some sing crazy. It is rowdy and ugly and super funny. And no one ends at the same time, so it's a little chaotic. Hence my mother covering her ears.
Did I mention it makes Madelynn cry? Every time. Apparently it's also scary. Kelli always grabbed her. One of the reasons we miss Kelli :)
The two inseparable trouble makers.
More grandkids. I'm glad Mom and Dad have a large table! 
Adam got some fun gifts. An "Adam's favorite" bag (with chips, snack mix, Dr Pepper, etc), some new shirts and a gift card to Target (with strict instructions that it was for him and not me). I got him a gift card for him and I to go indoor skydiving. When we actually go, I'll have to post pictures!

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh please please please post pictures of your skydiving thingy. I want to see you guys freaking out. And Aubrey misses her "best friend Madelynn", so send her on over.

Celeste Pearson said...

Yes! I'm so excited for your skydiving thing! And I think it's funny that Kelli always grabbed Madelynn to make her feel better. I always laugh. In fact, I don't consider it a GREAT happy bday song unless Madelynn is crying :)

Rachel said...

Um I think you are morally obligated to post those cupcake recipes on your food blog!! They look amazing! I'm so glad you guys ended up going to Les Mis and that you loved it! I think that is hilarious about your family singing happy birthday all crazy cuz my family does that too and I can totally relate to your Mom and Madelynn:)