Friday, September 3, 2010

Adam's birthday celebration

Adam turned 31 on August 28. I love when birthdays fall on the weekend and Adam's was on a Saturday. We celebrated by going to dinner with my parents at Indochine in Tacoma. It was so delicious and I actually ate some crab cakes and honey pecan glazed prawns, both of which I don't normally like but I thought they were actually really good. The atmosphere was really cool and we sat at a table that was right next to this really calming waterfall fountain. Adam got some really nice phone calls from his family and lots of well-wishes on his Facebook page too.
On Sunday we had a little party for Adam after dinner. It was lots of fun singing our traditional off-key version of Happy Birthday, although Madelynn will probably need therapy because of it. I made a knock off version of Olive Garden's Lemon Cream Cake and it was really good. I also made a normal yellow cake with homemade chocolate marshmallow frosting for the kids. Both turned out really well. Adam got some funny T-shirts for his birthday as well as a new dress up shirt and tie for work. I was awesome this year and bought his birthday present back in January (yes, like 8 months ago!) and got him tickets to see Jim Gaffigan (if you don't know who he is, go here because he is hilarious!) but we found out that our already-booked-and-paid-for trip to Whistler, thanks to Adam's business partner/boss, is the same weekend as Jim Gaffigan. Major bummer! So I gave him the tickets on his birthday even though he knew about them, but then we ended up selling them to some friends (so sad!). Instead we are going to get tickets to a Seahawks game instead. Oh well. Hopefully Jim Gaffigan comes to Seattle again!
Madelynn loved the cake... I mean, she loved the frosting. Seriously, this one can't stay clean no matter what she's eating.
So Rix decided that Adam needed a present from him, and no one knew what he had put inside this box. So Adam opens it up and pulls out an old book about Noah's Ark, some Hot Wheels cars, a clothespin, a pencil, and a golf ball that belonged to Bryan. We were all just laughing but Rix was so proud of his gift. Let's just say that it was all discreetly given back to Celeste since most of it was not even Rix's stuff to give away. We thought it was so cute though!
An Oregon Trail shirt that says "You have died of dysentary."
I love this color shirt and was so glad mom and dad found it somewhere!
"National Sarcasm Society: Like we really need your support"
Adam's "surprised" look after I gave him the tickets. I had actually hid them really well for about 7 months until Olivia got into my things one night when she was supposed to be sleeping and ended up putting them right on Adam's nightstand. So he knew about them, but I still wanted a picture with him opening them up. Oh well, we can't go anyway!

We also went to Red Robin for Adam's birthday. You might see these pictures again because it was part of our Week of Fun before school starts. I stole that idea from Celeste and will post our Week of Fun later. Anyway, our server surprised us with a huge birthday singing with tons of people to sing to Adam, including Red. My kids have a love affair with Red. Madelynn stares and him and squeals with delight when she sees him, and Jack looks like he saw a movie star. He has to hug Red every time he sees him.
Madelynn and the fry in her mouth when she saw Red.
Olivia and me and my big arm. She really was happy, she just was being Olivia and didn't want to smile.

Happy birthday Adam! I hope your day was lots of fun and next year hopefully your birthday present works out :)

5 comments:

Kelli said...

I love those shirts, please tell me where to buy some like that for Jage! I love how busy you were for his bday. And I'm bummed Rix didn't send me a random birthday present of stuff he stole :) Happy birthday Poyf!

Rachel said...

Happy birthday Adam!! It sounds like it was tons of fun! That lemon cake sounds delicious. Too bad the tickets didn't work out! I'm so impressed that you kept them hidden for 7 months.

Celeste Pearson said...

We'll have to go back to Indochine when dad finds his gift card! Sounds like you had a great time at both restaurants. Too bad about the tickets, but you are going to have a blast in Whistler!

Marilyn said...

Ooo how fun! It funny how serious Olivia is. She is getting so grown up!

Summer said...

Happy B-day, Adam! I LOVE the shirts! Especially the Oregon Trail one! Awesome!