Monday, September 13, 2010

First day of school! First day of school!

On the first day of school, I always think of that part in Finding Nemo where Nemo rushes in on his sleeping dad, chanting "First day of school!" over and over. It's so funny how little kids are so excited to go back to school, although I'm already anticipating the day when my kids are upset about school starting. Olivia has been counting down the days to school. I'm not sure if it was because she was bored at home, tired of me, or just plain excited for school. She really had a great time in kindergarten so I am assuming (and hoping) it is the latter. Her teacher is Ms. Fields and Olivia really likes her. She has some friends in her class from kindergarten, although Rix is in another class (on purpose) and she misses him sometimes.

The night before school started, Olivia asked for pancakes for dinner. Apparently I made the wrong kind because she meant Swedish pancakes and I made the plain old Bisquick kind (but hey, I added cinnamon and vanilla and they were super yummy). We went to Cold Stone for a celebratory dessert (see previous post for those pictures) and then came home and went straight to bed. Olivia is definitely not used to going to bed early but she is beginning to understand why I put her in bed at 7:30pm. Every morning so far she has been woken up and drags herself to the living room to get dressed and says "Last night was a bad night, Mom. I'm still too tired." Hopefully she gets the hang of going to bed early so she isn't so tired in the morning.
Getting ready...
She picked out her own outfit and told me what she wanted done with her hair (down with a small piggy in the front flipped underneath).
This one had to get woken up and was not too happy about it.
This one was just excited for Olivia. He starts preschool in a couple week. I will have a blissful 3 hours in the afternoon to myself while Madelynn naps. *Sigh*
She has the same backpack from last year because I'm too cheap to buy another one and her My Little Pony one is in great shape. She is super excited to eat lunch at school too. Although the first day I picked her up from school and she immediately got upset at me. I asked what was wrong and she said "I didn't eat my lunch" in her grumpy voice. I said "You didn't eat lunch?" thinking she was starving now. She said "No, I didn't eat my lunch" and I thought maybe she meant she ate someone else's by mistake? So I took her to the office where my Mom is the secretary and she just laughed and said that Olivia didn't know that after recess she could go back and get her lunch box and then go to the lunch room, so she just followed one of her friends to the lunch line and bought lunch. The lunch ladies and my mother thought she was super funny in a ditzy way. I think she owes me $2.40. Needless to say, I now remind her every day to go get her lunch box and do not buy the school lunch without my permission (I put some money on her lunch card so she can buy lunch later, but not when I've already packed her an awesome lunch complete with Gogurt and Nutter Butter cookies).

7 comments:

Rachel said...

That is so funny that she bought lunch on accident! She is so cute with her little poka dot vest. I love it. Madelynn looks super excited for Olivia's first day:) I can't believe she's in first grade!

Kellie said...

Carissa, I'll find out how much shipping is and let you know. I don't think it would be much since the maps don't weigh much at all!

Celeste Pearson said...

I think it's funny she misses Rix. They are like oil and water sometimes, and then sometimes they are BFFs. Her outfit is super cute (does it come in my size?) and love Madelynn's picture. It basically sums up how I feel in the morning.

Kelli said...

Man I wish my kids loved sleep as much as yours. I love her outfit too, maybe I should take her shopping with me next time so she can give me some fashion advice. Tell Livvy congrats and give her big hugs and kisses!

Melanie said...

Olivia's outfit choice is super cute and hey at least you can say she is resourceful;) She was presented with a bit of a problem and quickly fixed it! LOL

Summer said...

Hooray for back to school! Olivia looked so cute and sounds like she did well too (other than the lunch thing :)) How did Mom do?

Colin & Lori said...

What a cute girl headed out for the first day of school. We recycled Mia's backpack this year too. I even offered to get her a new one. I love that they don't care at this age if they don't get all new stuff. Hope she has a great year! Enjoy those three hours! I sure would.