Thursday, September 30, 2010

Puyallup Fair 2010

We made it out to the Puyallup Fair again this year and the kids loved it. I remember growing up here in Lakewood and going to the fair every September. It was basically a tradition and I want to give my kids the same experience. Even if it costs literally an arm and a leg to go. I love the smell of onion burgers and scones mixed in with the screams from the rides. It brings back so many memories! The fair has lots to do, including animals to look at, a petting zoo, tons of games and rides, lots of food and entertainment.

We went cheap this year (just like last year) and only bought enough tickets for Jack and Olivia to go on five rides. Madelynn was too young and cried and cried when she couldn't go with her brother and sister on their rides. I felt so bad, though, when their five rides were done and there were still so many other rides they wanted to go on. Adam and I have promised them Dizzy passes (unlimited ride bracelets) for next year. We'll have to start saving now (I'm only partially joking).

 Jack on his first ride. He looks nervous, but he was definitely more excited than anything.
As you can see, Madelynn was so mad she couldn't go on the rides. She isn't old enough or tall enough. Hopefully next year!

Rix and Olivia went together in these huge bears that spun around (sorry for the brightness, I'm still learning how to use this camera!).

Celeste and her classic pose.

Olivia in a race car that had to be purple.

Haha, can you see Olivia's face? She looks terrified while Jack looks so bored. They loved the roller coaster though.

I love how motherly Olivia is to Madelynn. Well, I don't always love it, but sometimes it's really cute.

Adam taught the kids to give "thumbs up" on all the rides.

Like so. They were so funny on this ride. It was literally a teeny roller coaster with a teeny hill and they were having the time of their lives!

They met the characters from the Fairly Oddparents show. I don't remember their names, but Jack was more upset that the next day Patrick Star was supposed to come and we missed him.

They had this place set up with tons of things the kids could drum on like different cans and other metal things and then drum sticks for them. The kids stayed here for a while hitting different things (including each other). Afterwards we had dinner (it was past 7pm and they were starving) and we had come on $2 Madness day, so the kids got corn dogs for $2. Loved it.

Madelynn (and part of Jack) and I in the petting zoo. They had goats and sheep and bunnies. One of the sheep starting charging at the kids, so we left quickly. And washed our hands!

Adam and I went another night without the kids. We went up with my mom and dad and Celeste. This time we basically checked out the shops. They have a huge Showplex with hundreds of vendors with new products to showcase, and some vendors who come every year. We stopped by the Garlic Gourmay (yes, that's how they spell it) and split a can of their garlic ranch dip. I love the Vita Mix guy too. We also stopped by the pepper jelly place. I didn't get any (not a huge fan) but my dad always buys some of their onion pepper jelly and this year he got cranberry pepper jelly. I just like seeing all the new things people are coming out with and not having to worry about how bored my kids are. And I like that I could buy scones and not have to share them with my kids :)

An Earthquake burger. Literally as big as my head, and piled with carmelized onions. SO yummy, but Adam and I split it because it was huge and it definitely filled us up!

Celeste wanted to buy some spicy pepper jelly for her hubby at home, so she asked if she could try the xxxx-hot jelly. The vendor looked at her like she was crazy and said "Uh, why don't we start with the xx-hot one first." She tried that and then the xxx-hot and about died. She would not have liked that xxxx-hot jelly at all! Adam ended up trying the xxxx-hot one, which is the hottest they have, and said it felt like his tongue had been burned. 
Celeste and Mom buying stuff at Garlic Gourmay.

Adam and I before we left. We had lots of fun and we can't wait for next year!

5 comments:

Garrett said...

Literally as big as your head? Really?

Rachel said...

Don't listen to him it looks and sounds so yummy!! We need to find something like that at Oktoberfest. Seriously we definitely need to find better food there this year. Looks like so much fun! We need to come out there for that when we are feeling rich some day:)

Celeste Pearson said...

I've decided that next year I'm going to eat more fair food. I missed the onion burgers! And thanks for posting the awesome pics of me - it's so on!

Kelli said...

I don't know those cartoon characters. At all. I'm glad you all had a good time and secretly hating you for eating an onion burger and scone without finding a way to safely ship some to me. Or to fly my kids up for some rides and $2 corndogs. It's kind of rude actually :)

Summer said...

Man! We didn't do the fair this year! What is wrong with us? Next year for sure! That looked like lots of fun!