Monday, August 30, 2010

Road trips aren't that fun

One thing I learned on our family vacation to Boise is that we are not very good road trippers. At least not yet. My kids are at the age where they just aren't happy staying in the car for more than a couple hours at a time and I'm at the age where I can't deal with them for more than a couple hours in the car. Adam was a wonderful helper though and let me drive while he sat in back and watched Harry Potter and Calliou with the kids and entertained them/broke up fights. Anyway, we wer going to Boise for the weekend for Adam's niece's wedding. It was super fast but a lot of fun too.
Adam said he had never really worn sunglasses before because he always had his regular glasses on, so I put my sunglasses on over his own glasses to show him how awesome sunglasses are. And yes, they are purple. Pretty, Adam.
In the first couple hours, when we all still liked each other.
I can't decide which family picture I like best.
Waiting outside the temple for the happy couple!
Katie and Andrew. Katie is Adam's oldest sister's (Rachelle) daughter.
At the luncheon. I think it's so funny how Madelynn will give me this cheesy smile almost every time I pull out my camera.
Jack at the reception. His dinner consisted of sugar, sugar, and sugar. I think he may have had a bite of roll or pasta salad, but his plate was mostly cupcakes, candy and brownies. I figured we were on vacation so whatever. Plus, he sat there for like 45 minutes taking little bites of everything.
We were supposed to be taking a cute picture, but apparently cutting the wedding cake is way more interesting. She's even clapping for them! This one loves cake. Well, actually, she loves frosting.
After a while, they turned on some tunes and we danced the night away. Jack was a little weirded out by all the people dancing, but he showed us a few of his moves, most of which oddly looked like ninja fighting moves. He usually ended up standing by a wall with a funny look on his face (confusion? disgust?) or making me hold him but not letting me dance with him.
Madelynn and Olivia danced almost all night. For over an hour straight at least. Olivia tried to join a few groups of older girls, but usually ended up on her own just grooving to the music. Madelynn was a hurricane and would dance in one place, run over to another place and dance, and start over. She usually ended up in the middle of a bunch of rowdy groomsmen, but loved every minute of it. And I know she has her binky, but it was way past her bedtime and she was being such a good sport.
Dancing queen. I'm so glad we signed her up for dance classes that start in a couple weeks!
Slow dancing with Daddy.

All in all, it was a fun trip. It's always fun to see Adam's side of the family. We love Grandma Sharon and my kids adore her. Plus, Adam's sisters are way entertaining and we wish we could see them more often than we do. We always have such a good time with them all. And we definitely got a great deal on our hotel (the Hampton- my dad would be so proud) and the kids loved the continental breakfast with waffles and doughnuts and they loved the pool. They all actually slept really well together although they were up at the crack of dawn. We didn't really have a huge family vacation this summer but it was nice to get away for the weekend again like we did when we went to Spokane. Now I'm just excited for school to start!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Madelynn has got some moves!! She's a better dancer than the adults in the video:) I love that Jack was pulling out Ninja moves for his dancing, he dances like Garrett! I can't believe how long Madelynn's hair got all of a sudden. BTW, your glasses on Adam look awesome. Purple is definitely his color! Your family pictures are really cute.

Kelli said...

Second family picture. At least Jack is looking up. And I love the dance video. Madelynn and Aubrey are like fire and water. Aubrey would have cried if we'd put her in the middle of groomsmen and would have loved to join Jack in making weirded out faces at those that were dancing. Hope to see you all soon!

Kellie said...

Love the look, Adam. You should totally buy some sunglasses to match! Fun pictures of the kids dancing:) I love it when kids dance because most of the time, they have no rhythm.

Celeste Pearson said...

I think weddings are so fun! I love that your kids danced. And I like the first picture. You look better in it. Oh, and I totally agree with your statement that I'm at an age where I can't be with my kids in a car for more than a couple hours. So. Stinkin. True. Dang it.

Jennifer said...

My vote for the family picture is the first one. My deciding factor is always whatever picture I look best in. That doesn't help you out any because you look great in both!

Summer said...

Dang! That girl's got some moves! HaHaHa! What a cutie! I love watching toddlers dance!

I vote for pic #2 - the lighting is better. Luckily, you look great in both!