The kids dressed in their Easter outfits for Stake Conference so I had to get pictures. Easter falls on General Conference this year, so they won't get to wear their outfits again until the week after. Oh well, they are super cute!
The next Tuesday, our fabulous friends from Cleveland, Garrett and Rachel Hall and their kids, stopped by Lakewood on their way home from Seattle just to see us! We met at the McDonald's by Adam's work for lunch, then went on to Trader Joe's. Rachel is semi-obsessed with TJ's and in Cleveland she taught me all the yummy stuff they sell, so we had to stop by the one here because where she lives there isn't a Trader Joe's (yet!).
Jack also had his first dentist appointment with Adam. It was short and sweet and Jack was just happy to have no shots.
We also dyed eggs a little early for Easter this year. We made it an FHE thing a week before Easter because I am leaving today for Utah for the weekend. I am helping my sister Kelli drive back here sans husband plus three kids so we dyed them early so I could be there (and so Adam wasn't in charge of dyeing them with all three kids by himself). Jack is without a shirt and pants because I don't trust Jack with dye at all and I was right because 5 minutes later he splattered green dye halfway across the kitchen but NOT on his clothes!
For April Fool's Day (on March 31 since again, I'm leaving today) I made "dessert for dinner" and "dinner for dessert." I got the idea from my friend Summer, who did this last year for her family. For dinner I got some sundae glasses at the dollar store. I layered them with mashed potatoes, corn and popcorn chicken. Then I ended with potatoes, topped it off with gravy and a cherry tomato, and it looked like an ice cream sundae! I also served it with garlic ranch breadsticks (recipe here) which were super yummy.
For dessert, I already had the book, Hello Cupcake, and used the directions from there, but as hard as this looks to make, they were super easy. My friend, Summer, even had the little girl she babysits help her make this last year. So, easy, right?
This is supposed to look like a TV dinner. You get a foil cupcake baking sheet at the store and bake 6 cupcakes. The chicken drummettes are a cupcake plus a mini cupcake stuck on with toothpics, then frosted and rolled in cornflake crumbs. I made the bones by melting white chocolate and piping it on wax paper until it cooled. The "pudding" is just frosting and sprinkles. The "mashed potatoes" are frosting, a yellow Starburst and carmel sauce. The "peas and carrots" are green frosting, cut up orange Starbursts and green Runts. They were so fun to make and my kids loved them. Happy April Fools day!


8 comments:
Your April Fool's dinner turned out SO CUTE!!! I did the same ice cream sundae thing for dinner and then the spaghetti and meatballs cupcakes from that book.
So fun to get to hang out with the Halls! I'm so excited to see all you guys again!
LOVE the EAster clothes! So cute!
carissa, i LOVE the dinner you made, so cute!!! i starred it so hopefully i can remember it next year....or maybe i'll just declare may first "may fools day" because we totally forgot april fools day this year :) Also i'm jealous you got to see the halls. they are good people. good job!!!
LOVE the "mashed potatoes" cupcakes. They were sooooo good! And I was bummed about Easter being on the same day as General COnference!! But it saves me money on buying Easter clothes :)
So good to see you today. Your April Fool's dinner was AWESOME! I'm so doing yours next year. And, love the idea of stripping a boy down to dye eggs. Kade should have been naked...
Way too cute! Love the desserts. Man I need more energy, and cute ideas!
That's an awesome idea! I wish I was that talented:)
I'm totally stealing your idea next year for April Fools. What a fun idea. And Madelynn's smile in her Easter photo is priceless. She's so stinking cute! I'm glad you had fun with Rachel, I'm a TJ fan too, thanks to her advice she gave you which you gave me :)
I think it's safe to say that I am fully obsessed with TJ's:) we had so much fun seeing you guys! You're kids looked darling in their Easter clothes and your April fools dinner was so cute! Hope the drive with Kelli and the kids went well!
Post a Comment