We took a chartered bus (I mean coach! The driver does not like it being called a bus!) all the way there and back. We had lots of treats on the bus (Jodi's homemade Payday bars and Celeste's caramel brownies were amazing!) and played trivia games to win gift cards. We also watched "The Blind Side" on the way up and I loved it! It is an awesome story, and even more so because it's true. We stopped right inside Canada for lunch. Most of us went into the Costco there to get Cadbury Hot Chocolate mix, along with some other things that you can't get in the states (Tylenol with codeine and Bounty bars, which are like Mounds bars but in milk chocolate). Adam and I just got one thing of cocoa because it is seriously yummy! The food court there also has some weird things, like a meat sandwich and cheeseburgers.
We finally made it to the resort where Adam and I immediately checked into our room and took a 2 hour nap. It was AWESOME! Afterwards we played some Hearts with Celeste and Bryan and then met my parents at the local tavern for dinner. Celeste and I shared a huge plate of nachos and we are so glad we shared! Afterwards we all got in the pools. The outside pools are hot, which I loved because I'm used to hot tubs being tiny circles and these were way bigger. Even though it was frigid outside, we were nice and toasty in our hot pools!
The next day we slept in until almost 10am (enter a Hallelujah chorus here) and took our time getting ready. We walked around the town, which is really small and has mostly gift shops. We hit up the new Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and spent an insane amount on chocolate, then went to a convenience store so I could get some Cadbury chocolate bars (are we sensing a theme here?). For dinner we all dressed up and went to the hotel's Copper Room for dinner. The band there was really good and sang some oldies-but-goodies.
Our last day there Adam and I finally got our traditional magnet and hopped on board the coach and settled in for a long drive back. We watched "What's Up Doc?" with Barbra Streisand, which was actually kind of funny. We stopped at the same place for lunch, but this time we ate at Quiznos and stopped into a local store to get some Kindereggs for the kids. They are hollow chocolate eggs with small toys inside. They are all the rage in Europe and Canada. Little did we know that at the border they would confiscate our Kindereggs! Something about them being a choking hazard. We all thought they were joking, but they literally went through our things after they asked us all to get off the coach and show our passports. Adam had to walk back over to the Canadian side and throw them away (he ended up giving them to some lucky guy going into Canada). Our poor friend Debbi had bought a 24 pack at Costco too! Lame! We made it home, though, and relieved my amazing mother-in-law Sharon of child duty. She is such a wonderful sport to come watch our kids for us all the time! We missed our kids a lot but it was really nice to have nothing to do. We played card games, I read books and hung out in the hot tub. Although we aren't employees, I hope we get invited to go back next year!
Mom and Dad. My mother was such a trooper on this trip. She just had hip replacement surgery 2 months ago and did a lot of uncomfortable sitting and lots of walking, and never complained!
Bryan and Celeste. The steam there made picture-taking almost impossible!
Adam and I at lunch in this cute little diner.
I definitely think they should have bought those hats.
Me, Mom and Celeste at the fancy dinner.
Adam and I at dinner.
Me and my cute dad. He had a lot of fun making this little trip happen for his employees and subcontractors and their wives/significant others.
Adam and I near the hotel. Isn't it beautiful? Cold, but beautiful!


6 comments:
My favorite Canadian confection is the Wunderbar. It's like Butterfinger meets Reese's Peanut Butter Cup meets Twix. A little peanut butter, a little crunchety goodness, a little caramel, all coated in chocolate. Yum, yum!
How fun to go to Canada! It looks like you enjoyed yourself! ;)
How lucky you are! I have to hear about Harrison Hot Springs every year and I never get to go but it sounds like just the relaxing weekend I dream about but rarely get. Glad you had fun, minus the Kindereggs!
What a fun trip! That sounds amazing to have a weekend away in Canada with chocolate galore! That stinks about the kindereggs. I have to admit the nap and sleeping in sounded like the best part to me:)
So the theme was chocolate? Sounds like a good theme to me!! And we hope you get invited back next year too! Youll just have to help me in the office a few times (minus the complaining!! haha!) and we'll consider you an employee :)
Well, even though I'm not employed by Phase II--I'm coming next time. There's no stopping me! :) Looks like a blast. And, I told my mom about the kindereggs, we are outraged!
Post a Comment