Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Kelli came to visit!

On April Fool's Day I flew out to Utah in order to help my sister, Kelli, drive her and her three kids back to Washington while her husband stayed home to study for finals. I'm so nice, aren't I? I'm pretty sure this was the first time I've flown by myself, with no kids or husband! It was a little weird to be alone, but a little relaxing too. I could do what I wanted! I read a little and people-watched and finally made it to Utah. The next day I got my hair cut by my friend Destiny (over 5 inches off!), went to lunch at California Pizza Kitchen with Kelli and my amazing friend Christina, got some chocolate covered cinnamon bears at BYU and had dinner with Kory and AnaLee. It was a full and busy day!

The next morning we drove out to Washington. Kelli and I stuffed her three kids in the back and headed out. We made pretty good time and only had bad weather over Snoqualmie (imagine me driving about 35 mph on the freeway with my white knuckles clutching the steering wheel for dear life and my contacts drying out because I'm afraid if I blink I will hit something). Stupid snow! At least every one else was going just as slow.

The next day was Easter and it was so fun to have Kelli and her kids here for that. We had all 9 grandkids on the Hjelm side at my mom's house. It was noisy and chaotic but so fun. Easter dinner was amazing too! Glazed ham, homemade rolls, funeral potatoes, veggie tray, yummy salad and deviled eggs. For dessert we had an orange and raspberry cake too. The kids had a lot of fun doing an egg hunt too. Some of the eggs even had quarters inside which was super exciting for them! Thanks Easter Bunny!

We also attempted to go to Target with all nine kids, which was something we probably will never repeat. It was like a circus! We went to McDonald's and let the kids play and spent some time at Celeste's awesome playground... I mean her backyard. Can you tell I am coveting her backyard? We had a Girls Only movie night and the next night went to a Girls Only dessert night (mmm... bread pudding....) Anyway, it was so much fun to have Kelli here with her kids. We hope Jeremiah can come next time too!
The lighting is terrible, but this is my only picture! Kelli, Stina and me at CPK.
She has learned that plastic eggs hold candy and is super confused (and the super mad) when they are empty.
Despite the fact that the Easter Bunny was stupid enough to give Jack Play-Doh burger builder kit for Easter, I still have to love the look on his face. And Olivia has now reverted back to baths instead of showers so she can play with her Merliah doll that changes color in the water.
All the kids minus Madelynn and Aubrey, who were not on the couch for their own safety. I got them all to smile by offering a quarter to each one that smiled. I won't be using that bribe again!
They loved the egg hunt. The Easter Bunny did an awesome job!
Madelynn loves Uncle Bryan. Whenever he does this to her, she begs and begs for more.
My mom made egg shaped rice krispy treats for the kids. They got to roll their treats in frosting and sprinkles. It was a fun treat and the kids loved it!
It's a good thing Celeste has such a big kitchen table!
Do you see why I'm coveting her yard? Swings, 2 slides and a trampoline. Plus a HUGE garden and flower beds!
It is super hard to get 9 kids to smile at the same time. And Madelynn wouldn't sit still long enough to take decent pictures. Poor Aubrey was just wedged in there so she couldn't move even if she wanted to!
Escaping the picture again.
Carissa, Kelli and Celeste. As cute as we are on that slide, it was not easy to stay on there! Celeste had her feet seriously digging into the gravel keeping Kelli and I up, and I was sliding into Kelli so much that I'm pretty sure my foot left an indentation in her back.
The kids did lots of "trains" down the tube slide.
The tube slide also offered lots of static electricity.
Cute Aubrey. She took a while to warm up to everyone and now we'll have to start all over again when we see her again!
Adam made a great babysitter. I have an awesome video of him attempting a flip on the trampoline that I'm keeping for blackmail, along with some other pictures :)
Hayden and Olivia saying goodbye.
Aubrey never quite warmed up to Adam, but he said goodbye to her anyway. Maybe it's his creepy smile that she's so afraid of.
This is how three-year-old boys say goodbye to each other. They "hug it out" while wrestling on the ground.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Man, I need to take a moment and upload my pics so I can post about my trip! You'll need to old-school it and send me photos from Snapfish so I can order some!

Celeste Pearson said...

All those kids together was so fun! They were crazy, but manageable crazy. And it's only been a few days, but I forgot how long Jack's hair had been! Crazy!!!

Stina said...

The picture of us at CPK looks like I'm trying to make cleavage. When will I learn it's very much impossible...And, I love Madelynn's face with the eggs. And the static one! And, we have the new Barbie Mermaid movie and I love it! Have you seen it yet? I really like the music and the surfer story.

Also, I'm glad Brent's not the only one who terrifies Aubrey. Kelli's theory was the lack of hair...but Adam has plenty. What to Brent and Adam have in common?

Ana Lee said...

How fun! Great pictures :)

Rachel said...

Aubry is so cute and all grown up now! I can't believe how much hair she has! What a fun trip. That was so nice of you to drive in the snow, I know how much you HATE driving in the snow! Looks like a fun Easter.