While I'm preparing for another baby (and simultaneously thinking "What did I get myself into?!") I've been thinking back to days gone by... days when Adam and I slept in until 10am on weekends and went out to dinner at midnight because we could. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids and would never trade any of those pre-baby days for what I have now, but every now and then I have one of those days where I begin to count down to the days when they are grown and self-sufficient. Sunday was one of those days when we were home all day, in our pajamas, and the kids were restless and bored (and so was I). So in my boredom I thought of a few things I was looking forward to in 20 or so years.
1. I am excited for days when I don't have to shower with the door open so my kids can come in and tell me who hit who or who is getting into what. Or have my 2-year-old keep the shower curtain open so he can play with the water dripping from the spout. Or, if for some strange reason I am left alone during my shower, I'm too busy worrying what my kids are getting into that they are too preoccupied to bother me and therefore my shower is so longer peaceful but stressful as I'm imagining what mess I will have to clean up once I'm out.
2. I can't wait for a time when "date night" consists of conversation unrelated to my kids sleeping patterns. Or their bowel movements. Or social status. Or what they ate that day. What they didn't eat that day. How many times Jack was in time out or Olivia cried over something stupid. The amount of movies we watched that day (I know, I'm not the best mom, okay?) and how many times we watched each one. Jack's new princess crush (now it's Sleeping Beauty). What Olivia did at preschool that day. You get it. I'm sure your conversations with your spouses are similar... and if they aren't please send Adam or I a list of topics to discuss at our next date night so we can get out of our rut.
3. When I lose weight after a baby, I don't have to worry that in a year or so, my progress will be lost when I find out I'm pregnant (again) and therefore stuff my face full of the things I'd deprived myself of in the last year or so. Namely McDonald's, although anything greasy or fried will do.
4. I can sleep in past 7am (or 5:30am... ahem, Jack) and not feel guilty that I'm ignoring my children in order to get an hour more of sleep. Not that I will sleep in a lot, but the fact that I could sleep in if I wanted to is always a nice option.
I'm sure there are lots more things I can be looking forward to. Really, though, I love the stages my kids are in right now and every night I look back to the amazing things they have learned or taught me. There may be times when I wish they were 18 and on their own, but all in all, I think each day goes too quickly for me and I can wait a little longer for my gym pass and relaxing showers.
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
I relate to this post...a lot. Like you, I'm so so excited about our next baby. But, wonder how in the world will I have the energy to keep my house clean and be a happy, patient mom. Someone told me, teenagers are harder...I can't imagine.
Great list! I think we can all relate to this at times! Another one I would have added on Sunday was..I can't wait until I can actually sit and watch General Conference in peace and quiet!!! Just as I was thinking this, and was getting so frustrated, Pres. Monson had to go and remind me how fast it will all be over and how much I will miss it then. Of course, then I started bawling and hugging my kids...
OOOOH! I like #2 and #3... someday...
Date topics? How about how we are going to pay our bills this month, if we will be approved for another loan so soon, or whether Jeremiah will actually get an internship next semester. If it's not the kids its finances and school. But I agree with you, there are days I'm at my wits end and can't wait for 8pm when they go to sleep, only to find that I'm just as exhausted and therefore still have no time to just relax. By the way, I was interrupted 7 times this morning in the shower =)
I totally agree. I think there are things to look forward to, but right now when I wish I could go on dates without finding a babysitter or have a moment to take a nap, I know that in a few years I will wish that I had little kids begging to take a shower with me or wanting me to read them a story. It's like we want peace and quiet now, but when we get it we will wish for our kids to be little again. Can't we have the best of both worlds???
That's so funny, I'm pretty sure every mom feels this way once in awhile. We discuss the same things on our dates. BTW, perfect timing for Jack to get over his snow white crush as soon as we give him his doll! What is that about? Rylynn is really missing Olivia. She keeps on asking to go visit Roman and Hayden and Olivia.
I feel the same way. We decided to make our kids listen to at least one full talk and it happened to be Pres. Monson's. Luckily for them it was about enjoying your kids and living in the moment. Otherwise we would have strangled them as they were hitting, kicking, and jumping all over each other throughout the whole talk. Someday....
Post a Comment