Yeah, who would have thought the Poyfairs would have ever gone camping? We don't even own a tent! I don't do well without electricity, a flat iron, and something softer than the ground to sleep on, so I was so proud of myself for lasting the whole night (my hips, however, didn't last past midnight on that ground, even with three layers of blankets under me!).

We went to the John Johnson farm with our ward for the annual ward campout. I made foil pack dinners which consisted of kielbasa, potatoes, carrots, celery, carmelized onion and some beef broth (thanks, Dad, for the idea). We packed up some apples and bottled water and headed out to Hiram, Ohio. I think we fared pretty well, considering that we had never put a tent up together (and thanks, Lafrancas, for letting us borrow your awesome tent). We put Jack's pack & play in the tent, which left just enough space for Adam, Olivia and I to snuggle together. Jack definitely had the better end of the deal!

After dinner we gathered at the bonfire and ate S'mores and roasted Starburst (Stina, do you remember doing this at Clover Haus?) with the rest of the ward. Olivia had a lot of fun eating her S'mores and Jack just liked stuffing the huge marshmallows in his mouth. He was really tired and laid on Adam's shoulder most of the night. Olivia spent most of the night with her friends vegging on cookies and Starburst and all the other candy they had there. We finally made it back to our tent a little after 10pm, and after all the teeth brushing and changing into jammies in a dark tent that is mostly taken over by a pack & play, we made it to bed around 11pm... and that's when what I lovingly call the "Jack Party" started.

Jack, who was sooooo tired at the bonfire, suddenly got his sixth wind of the night and spent the next hour marching around his crib, throwing his binky at me, crying because we wouldn't pick him up, and then repeating the process. Olivia even said to him "Jack, stop it and go to bed!" Finally we did what we told everyone we would end up doing and took Jack home. Adam actually took him home around midnight (and it's about 30 minutes away) and Olivia and I stayed in the tent. Livvy was such a trooper. She was completely asleep less than 5 minutes after Jack left and then slept until 7am when the birds got too loud.

Adam met us back at the camp at 8am for breakfast and to help break down camp. I say "camp" loosely, since the grounds have running water (hot and cold), toilets with locks on the door (!) and showers (that's my kind of camping!). They even had electric outlets. I mean, it wasn't the Hampton, but if I'm going to camp, that's where I want to camp! The activities committee did an awesome job on the campout. The bonfire was tons of fun and the breakfast was really good (pancakes, sausage, bacon, fruit, cereal.... trail mix, etc). Olivia keeps asking if we can go camping again. I told her when Jack learns to listen to my threats and fall asleep when I tell him to, we can go. Needless to say, we
all took naps that next day. And they were at least 3 hours long!
6 comments:
How could I forget roasting Starbursts in the make-out pit? Those were the days. And, yeah, that's how camping goes for us too. We never last more than one night. I'm impressed you didn't go home with Adam. And, I feel your pain with the whole hip thing.
You sound like an old lady with the hip thing =) That Jack party didn't sound like fun, please don't invite me to one of those. Glad you enjoyed our tent, I didn't know it was big enough for a pack and play and room for the rest of you as well! We need to go camping next year, although we'll do some real camping, as in no electricity you cheater!
That was a really fun campout! I can't believe how awake Jack was after being so sleepy at the bonfire! I thought he'd be out like a light!
You are such a trooper for sleeping on the hard ground PREGNANT! My hips killed sleeping in my nice soft bed when I was preggo!
I can't believe that you stayed with Olivia! I would have made Bryan stay and I would have gone home. What a trooper! And a pregnant trooper! I'm so proud, although your camp grounds sound amazine. That's my idea of camping!!! :)
Oh Jack, what a little stinker! He was sooo tired at the bonfire, I still can't figure out how he stayed up after that. Well we definitely want to go back there, but this time with Daddy to help:)
Looks like Adam pulled the old "I'm going to pinch the kid until he cries so I can drive home and sleep in my soft bed while my pregnant wife sleeps on the hard ground" trick...60% of the time it works every time.
Post a Comment