Friday, August 29, 2008

Happy Birthday Adam (one day late!)

Adam turned 29 yesterday, with little or no fanfare. Instead, he took an 8 hour mock-boards test in a really cold room. He then twisted his ankle on the way to the cashier's office to see if our loan check came in (it didn't- of course), and then he went to Enrichment with me to be the auctioneer for our service auction. Don't worry- tonight we are going out to dinner sans children to either Brio or Macaroni Grill to celebrate and he is getting himself a new set of scriptures for his present. We just haven't ordered them yet (refer back to the part where I mentioned our loan check hasn't come in yet despite the fact a lot of other dental students have had theirs for days!).So in honor of the last birthday he'll ever have before he turns the big 3-0, here are 29 things about Adam:

1- He is the 7th of 8 kids in his family
2- He is in his last year of dental school (yeah!)
3- He can quote lines from Friends and Arrested Development and use them in everyday conversations
4- His favorite movie (or one of them) is Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and watching it with him actually makes them movie even funnier
5- He plays "monster" with the kids almost every night. It's where he hides and then surprises them and chases them around until he gets them and tickles them
6- He doesn't have a "favorite" meal although he loves steak, ribs, shrimp... well, let's just say he likes meat
7- He is a closet case country fan, although he think I had a hand in this since I always have to listen to my music in the car
8- He loves to make people laugh, although if you've met him you would already know this
9- He talks in his sleep but usually only if he's really exhausted that day
10- Speaking of sleep, he can fall asleep in less than 5 minutes which irritates me as I'm tossing and turning for at least half an hour
11- He knows all the words to the Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat soundtrack
12- He has never been to a concert before
13- He does not like chocolate, especially dark chocolate
14- He served his mission in Albania
15- He has gone to Red Lobster's all you can eat shrimp event every fall since I've known him (7 years now)
16- He likes to go on "man-dates" with his guy friends. Mainly this is a way for him to see movies that I don't want to see like scary ones or whatever
17- He is an awesome daddy to his kids and even though he acts tough on the outside, the kids usually get anything they want just by giving him big hugs or their cute smiles
18- He loves to look back at things from his past- i.e. mission photos, letters, yearbooks, pictures, videos, he even took me on a "reality tour" of all the sites from his growing up years
19- He was born and raised in Vancouver, Washington
20- He is awesome at impersonating accents (and every one knows that an English accent makes anyone sexier!)
21- When he was a toddler he fell out of his second floor bedroom window and had nothing but a couple of scrapes, although it explains a few of his quirks :)
22- He is awesome at packing up a moving truck. It's like a puzzle challenge for him and he rocks
23- He changes his own oil in our minivan and his Saturn
24- About the minivan- you will not find another man prouder of his Honda Odyssey than Adam
25- He donates bone marrow every other month just for some extra cash for us to have for our date nights
26- He looks sexy in dark rimmed glasses but won't wear them for some reason. He also has a certain shirt that I love him in and he will wear it on special occasions just to make me happy
27- He likes to do little things for me, like let me sleep in or bathe the kids for me or get me flowers
28- He is smarter than he gives himself credit for
29- He is that much closer to being 30! Happy birthday!

13 comments:

Stina said...

This post made me love Adam even more!! (Is it possible??) Happy Birthday, Adam!!! We miss you! Utah needs you back!

Seriously... said...

well happy birthday adam. If we were there i'd have dustin take him on a man date to celebrate. carissa....have you ever posted your broccoli salad recipe? if not, could you???? i have a huge bag of broccoli and a wicked pregnancy craving.....and all of my stuff (including your recipe) is still on the moving truck. or you can email it to me, but i'm sure the blog world would love to have it. kendra_nieman at hotmail.com

Kelli said...

There are some things on that list that I'm sure Jeremiah will have a blast learning about =) What fun! Make him teach Jeremiah to bathe the kids. I had fun learning more about Adam (Roman calls his "Gum" or at least it sounds that way) and I want to watch Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with him now.

Summer said...

Happy Birthday, Adam! You were an AWESOME autioneer! What a way to spend your b-day! Thanks for getting us hooked on Arrested Development!

Kellie said...

Ditto to what Summer said, you did a great job as the auctioneer. Hope your birthday dinner was fun!

Sarah Anne said...

I love you so much Adam. Carissa, I love you for loving all things about Adam. I have to say it's weird to hear someone view my brother as 'sexy', but I get it.
Happy phreaking birthday. I love you!

Ben and Laurie said...

How sweet! happy birthday Adam!!

Can you send me your email to laurie_elmore27@yahoo.com so I can send you a blog invite? Thanks!!

Dane and Natalie said...

What a great idea, Carissa. I just might have to copy that one. I learned some things about Adam that I didn't know and some that I already knew. I would love to have a Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat sing off with him.

Garrett said...

Imagine this: Adam, speaking with an English accent while wearing dark rimmed glasses and that special shirt. That is like the perfect storm of sexiness. Allegedly.

One other interesting thing about Adam is that he has a voice that can make the birds sing.

Happy birthday, Adam! As a present, I enrolled you in cartography school, bought you an aztec tomb, and I made a sizable donation to Graft Versus Host (GVH) in your honor. There is still time to save Tobias!

Ana Lee said...

Happy Belated Birthday Adam! I'm sad I didn't get to see you when Kory and I dropped by on our way to Kelli's.

Carissa thank you so much for feeding Kory and I a "snack" during our quick little stop. You are so sweet. It was wonderful to see you and the kids again!

Briana said...

Happy Birthday, Adam. I found your blog from Eryn Washington's. I've wondered how you've been all these years. In case you're wondering, this is Briana Abrahamsen. I'll have to go back and read about you and your family. I haven't actually had a chance to look at your blog. If you're interested, we have one, too. mannclan02.blogspot.com. Take care.

Celeste Pearson said...

I didn't know Adam fell out of the window! That DOES explain a lot. Anyway, I'm glad he had a good birthday and I LOVE to watch movies with him. They are funnier with him.

Rachel said...

We are very glad to have Adam as a neighbor to do all the "fun jobs" for us like taking out the trash and cleaning out the garbage cans:) Garrett is so happy to have another meativore buddy too. Happy birthday Adam!