Typical family picture- Adam and I are smiling while neither kid is smiling nor looking at the camera...Next off was Palmyra, which I was really looking forward to because I love church history. We got into the hotel around 4pm and went straight from there to Hill Cumorah. They were taking down the pageant set and I had really wanted to see it, but it was still cool to see the set (it's huge!). We were the only people on the hill, which, by the way, is a killer hike. Could they maybe invest in an elevator by the time I visit again. I was so burned out by the time I reached the top, all I had energy for was picture taking and telling Adam that his children were running around by the stairs. Anyway, it was a beautiful hill and view and it was so amazing to be at the site where the Book of Mormon was hidden.
The monument on Hill Cumorah.
Olivia and her cousins Roman and Hayden playing near the monument. My dad is in the back making sure Jack doesn't run off.
The next morning we went to the Grandin Press building where the Book of Mormon was first published. This was a really cool place, and an even better place for the kids to get into trouble. Some of the building was the actual brickwork and such but some was a restoration. They showed us how things were printed back then, how they were bound into a book, and even showed us some works by Grandin himself. It's amazing how they were able to make such good quality books back when there was so little to work with.
They kept all the little pieces for printing in these boxes, like all the letters and punctuation marks. They had the printing office on the top floor in order to get as much sunlight as possible.
After printing, they would lay the papers on these rods until all the papers were done and ready to be bound together. The folding, cutting and binding process was confusing to me, so I'm not even going to try and explain it to you.
We then went to the Palmyra Temple. We wanted to do a session there, but with all the kids that would have been impossible unless we stayed another day. The temple is a smaller one but the grounds and the temple are beautiful.
at the camera. I think we need professional help when it comes to family pictures (although I'm sure we need professional help in other areas too).


The log home from the outside and the upstairs bedrooms. The boys slept in the front room and the girls slept in the room in the back.
Then we saw the frame home, which was so amazing considering that it was built so long ago without the tools and big trucks we have today. We saw the hearth where the golden plates were hidden once when rumor had it someone was going to try and steal them. We saw the kitchen and front rooms along with some items the family may have used when they lived there.


After that we were free to roam the property. The Smiths were involved in a lot of different ventures, like corn, barrel making in their cooper shop, trapped small animals for fur, they had an apple orchard and raised livestock among other things. The Smiths had a great work ethic and were able to prosper in their efforts. Their property was really big, including the corn field, apple orchard, and grove of trees.
While we were on our way to the Sacred Grove, Jack kept sitting down and playing with the rocks. He refused to walk and made my Dad carry him to the grove. We realized that the kids had been walking almost all day and Jack was just so tired that although he usually hates to be carried, that is all he wanted. Adam had to carry him the entire way through the Grove (and we weighed him at the doctor yesterday... he really is 30 lbs!).The Grove was beautiful. I always thought that the Sacred Grove was a specific spot in the trees, like it was roped off and everything. So for a while I was like "Where is it?" and my parents were like "We're here!" and I was so frustrated until Adam explained that it's possible that no one knows exactly where Joseph Smith was when he was visited by Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Am I the only one who thought that? Anyway, it was so peaceful there. My parents went down one path, Adam and Jack and I went down another, and my sister, brother-in-law and brother, Kory, went with the kids down another. I think Adam and I probably had a quieter view of the Grove than my sister, but oh well! I loved hearing the birds singing and seeing all the beautiful greenery. It really was as peaceful and quiet as you would imagine, even with other people there and the birds singing. You could feel deep down that this was a place touched by God. I could imagine a young Joseph kneeling here, and I can see exactly why he chose this place of all places to do so.


We made it out of the Grove just as the rain started. We went back to the hotel and had lunch in the lobby and then went to downtown Palmyra again so we could stop at Alvin Smith's grave, go to the bookstore and then get ice cream. We sat outside under a tent as we ate and the kids loved the rain and thunder. All in all, the trip was a success. I had a lot of fun with my family (like playing Mexican Train until 11pm with the adults and then losing last minute when Adam's and my final round ended at 188 points!), the kids loved hanging out with each other, and we learned a few things about traveling with kids.


9 comments:
Ditto to the steep hill thing. When I was there two years ago, I could barely make it up 1/3 of the way of the huge set without needing a gallon of water.
And no, you're not the only one with that initial impression of the Sacred Grove. If you're expecting something specific (like I also did), it turns out to be a bit anti-climactic. Still beautiful and peaceful, though.
Good job blogging! I should just put a link to your blog instead of actually typing out my own =) And I loved seeing both of you in the play, I'm just glad I didn't have to wear the dress or do the hair!!!
Living out here has definitely given me a greater love for Church history! The sites in Palmyra are so special!
I love that picture of Jack pointing to the Temple! That is so sweet!
What a fun trip! That's awesome that your parents and brother and sister and her family could go with you!
So what are you going to do now with all of you weekends free?!...call the Dixons!
Carissa and Adam,
This is so great! I'm glad you had such a nice time. I love seeing pictures of you guys and hearing about what you're up to.
Jack and Olivia are getting so big. Tell Olivia that we are so proud of her for being so big and doing so well in the play. And tell Jack that Gracie will be his partner in crime when you move over here. (hint, hint on the move.)
I completely thought the same thing about the grove, Chris had to explain it to me. Kind of makes sense though once you learn about it. Can you imagine what some people might do if they knew the actual place? I loved it nonetheless and really felt a spirit of peace there.
I miss you and love you all!
That looks like a lot of fun. We want to go to Palmyra sometime in the next three years here. I love your comments on the family pictures about the kids skirming out of place. It is cute and I guess shows reality right!
You are a trooper with that play. I can't believe how much work goes into it. I wish we could have been there for it.
Your pics of the church history sites are great! Jack sure has grown up since we last saw him. How fun!!
I am so jealous. Am I the red-headed step child?? Anyway I'm glad you had fun and that all your kids were good. And I'm glad I didn't have to carry my kids up the hill!! How funny!
First off, what is mexican train? Second off, I thought the same thing about the grove Carissa. I was totally trying to figure out where it actually happened. Too bad we don't know that because it is huge. What a fun trip. I love taking family there too. By the way there is another entrance to the hill cumora where you drive up so it isn't such a hike, I should have told you about it. Sorry:)
Post a Comment