Sunday, July 6, 2008

Fourth of July

We actually had a lot of fun this Independence Day. Usually we don't do anything except have a small little barbecue and fall asleep before the fireworks begin. Well, this year, we decided to live a little! After a little grocery shopping (and sleeping in!) we headed to the Shaker Pool for some fun with dad. Adam had never been to the pool with us before. Olivia was excited because I promised that Adam would take her into the "big" pool. She put on her life vest and hopped right in with daddy. She was so brave! I took her in last year and she freaked out, so I was surprised (but happy) that she was having so much fun. Jack, on the other hand, wanted to go in the big pool but made it clear that he did not want the life jacket on. Instead, he clung to me while we went in the lazy river and then ventured with daddy and Olivia into the actual pool. We tried to teach Olivia to kick to move around, but the life vest made it hard for her to get on her stomach. She did let us "float" her, as she calls it. We let go of her and let her float, or bob around, in her life jacket. She yelled "I like it! I like it!" It was really cute. We finally convinced the kids to go back up to the kiddie pool since I was getting cold and a little tired of lugging Jack around (although he is way lighter in the pool than real life!).

Daddy and Olivia in the lazy river. She loved the big pool and now I think we'll be visiting the big pool more often... darn it.Jack trying to go after Daddy and Olivia before I could put his life jacket on.Hopefully you can see how mad he is about having the life jacket on. This is when I decided to finally get my hair wet and take him in myself sans life jacket.

After the pool the kids took much needed naps, and then we went to a barbecue at a friend's house. It was a lot of fun with lots of yummy food. Nothing says Fourth of July to me then barbecue! Of course I had to have deviled eggs there (I think I've made them for the past few years now) and all the other salads and fruit and desserts were delicious!

We also attended the Shaker fireworks this year. We've never done it before, mainly because our kids are usually in bed by 7:30pm and the fireworks didn't start until 10pm. They did relatively well considering they weren't in bed until almost 11:30pm!


Olivia enjoying a sparkler- her only one of the evening. After this picture we were told they were not allowed at the fireworks area. I can see why... we had at least 8 or so kids waving them around. I'm surprised no one caught on fire or started a fire of their own.One of the few moments in history where you will see one of three things: 1) Me in a picture. 2) Adam and I together in a picture. 3) All of us (kind of) smiling in a picture. And yes, I know Jack is missing a shoe. He is always missing a shoe. Every time I am at Target or the grocery store, at least one person says "You know your son is missing a shoe" and I say "Yes, it's in the cart. He always takes it off." Like I wouldn't notice if he was missing a shoe (well, okay, I didn't notice once).Olivia surprisingly loved the fireworks. She would yell "Look! Look!" or "Whoa!" every time. The last time we saw fire works was in July 2005 with my sis-in-laws and Olivia cried the whole time. I had to wrap a blanket around her ears and sing a song as loud as I could to her to try and drown out the noise. The other time (2 times, I think) were at Indian's games and both times she cried "I want to go home!" so we did. Anyway... she loved the fireworks and the look on her face made the late night worth it.Jack, on the other hand, did not like the noise the fireworks made. Can you see the concern on his face? After this picture, his lower lip came out and he ran to my lap. I held him with my hands over his ears and he laid against me the whole time the fireworks were going on. He was so brave, though. He started to cry a couple of times, but then stopped himself and just watched the fireworks. Near the end he figured out they were alright and ventured over to Adam, but came back soon so I could rock him a little. Poor guy, he was so tired! We had a lot of fun although we are glad to be getting back to our normal bedtime schedule!

8 comments:

Summer said...

Your deviled eggs were AWESOME!!! Thanks! Poor Jack! But what a cute pic of Olivia's face watching the fireworks! The kids were cracking me up with all their "OOOHs" and "AAAHs! It was a fun 4th!

Janelle said...

The kids all seemed to love the first show (it was farther away), but by the time the Shake ones actually started, the awe and wonder had worn off. They were also a lot closer, so there was more terror. I ended up with Mia Croshaw on my lap because Lori had to take her Jack to the car. It was a fun night, though.

Kelli said...

You were busy that day, I'm glad your kids were good for you! They are so cute, I love your pictures of them (I'm thinking scrapbooking pages right now!). Maybe next year we'll "live a litte" and take our kids to an actual fireworks show =)

Celeste Pearson said...

I'm still so jealous of your swimming pool. It looks so cool. And I love that you had to hold Jack. The picture of him is so cute - I just want to hug him! And I think Olivia is so dang cute (definitely a Hjelm trait) - "I like it! I like it!"

Erik & Kimberly said...

Your deviled eggs made that party happen. You want your party to be a success? Invite Carissa! Pictures of the fourth are cute. I especially enjoy the people in the background. Thanks for the fun!

Yonker Family said...

Good times. It makes for a long day, but it really is worth it. The fireworks are so much fun and you really only see it that good once a year.

Tell Adam I said thanks for coming out and saying hi to the kids at their dental appointment today, it went really well and the kids had a great time. I updated the Office quote just for him.

Elise said...

Kimberly is right on, Carissa, you always bring the best BBQ food! Your 4th sounds like so much fun! Our kids were sick so we stayed home all evening, bor-ing! I can't seem to get Bren to join us at the pool, maybe he'll be inspired by Adam, your pool totally rocks though, compared to ours.
We need to get together sometime.

Rachel said...

looks like so much fun. I love the picture of Olivia looking up at the fireworks. Rylynn loved the sparklers this year too, but she burned her foot so we will see if she likes them again next year. I can't believe Jack stayed up that late! Sounds like he was really brave. What a cutie!