Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The newest member of our family...

My little Sentra is old. Not that old, but it definitely was acting that way. Usually when the temperature drops into snow season the Sentra would act up, like it wouldn't start very well or wouldn't start at all unless you pumped the gas, which I found was an art form I suck at. I would end up flooding the engine so it wouldn't start ever again (or until Adam came home). Well, a couple weeks ago when I was on my way to a ward activity in Kirtland, my car started an attitude with me. It died on me while I was on the brake, and then started revving really high when I was in park, plus it seemed to be dragging- and it was in the mid 50s! No snow yet! Now, normally, living on a budget, I would just deal with it, but since Olivia is in preschool and I have things to do during the day (like doctor appointments, grocery shopping, and my bi-weekly visit to Target), Adam and I decided that we needed a new car soon, before the snow came.

We started asking around to find the best options for our budget and decided on a couple different minivans that we liked. We figured we might as well upgrade our car to a minivan, so when we do decide to expand our family, we aren't shopping for another car again. Adam and I visited a couple of dealerships and searched online, where we ended up "looking" one night in North Olmstead. And, doing what Adam and I do best, our "looking" turned into "buying". Not that this was an impluse buy, which is another thing Adam and I do best. We knew what we wanted, what we could afford, and what we were getting ourselves into. We just hadn't really expected to fall in love with a car so soon (romantic, isn't it?). The winner? A 2003 Honda Odyssey, with leather seats, heated front seats, automatic door openers that open with a button on my dashboard and on my keychain remote (which is nice when I'm juggling Jack, Olivia's backpack, my purse, and a Diet Dr. Pepper in the rain), and a DVD player (which sadly wasn't working so it's being fixed as we speak).


As a teenager I never thought I would be a "minivan mom" at the age of 27, but looking at how my life is evolving, I am proud of myself. It shows that I am a mother, for one (hopefully most people that drive minivans have kids! No offense if you drive one and don't have kids, though!), and that I can drive a big car. My family always makes fun of me, since I have never driven anything bigger than a tin can, I mean an old Mazda 323 and my Nissan Sentra. Now I can drive a minivan the size of a bus (not really, but it feels like it). I'm not quite sure I feel like this minivan is mine yet. I haven't put anything in it, like my car organizer or my "Case School of Dental Medicine" sticker, but that will come in time. I still love the car and am excited to finally have a car that I am not embarrassed to admit that I have!

Olivia is so excited to have a new car. She tells people "I have a new car!" all the time.

13 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

Woohoo! I am the first to leave a comment on your minivan blog! Anyway, congrats on the new addition. Aren't minivans fun? They have so much room - and I'm jealous of all your amenities! Anyway, enjoy the van and thanks for finally blogging about it. Oh - did you cry when you left the Sentra?

Stina said...

Hey! Celeste that's not fair that you're jealous...that's what I was going to say. I guess we can both be jealous. I dream about Honda Odyssey or Toyota Siennas--and in any color except white. And, I also dream about a remote control unlocker thing--I've never had one! My mom would call your minivan a James Bond Minivan! Way to go! (Someday soon...you'll not only drive a minivan but also be a true-blue soccer mom!!!!!)

Celeste Pearson said...

I don't have a cool door opener thing either - although I do have a key fob which unlocks the door. But I call Rix my "cool door opener" because, rain or shine, he will run out to the car and open the side door for me. What a champ! Anyway Carissa, my cool door opener is way cuter than your remote thingy - although it probably isn't as grumpy as mine is. Hmmmm....

The Larsons said...

Congrats! I have to agree that it is more of a cool thing than I used to think! Your kiddos looked darling on Halloween!

Carrie Anne said...

I'm in love with your minivan, too! Those Odysseys are so hot and have all the best features for a mom...I want one, too! They are so practical and mother friendly! I was in love with the Hymas' when they got one, too, and I want one, but James is NOT into minivans. We'll see when I can persuade him to change his mind. Congratulations! I know it is very exciting...especially when you love it so much and can get in and out with your hands completely full...I love that you have to have diet dr. pepper...I need Coke pretty bad, too.:) Exciting for you! Congrats!

Carrie Anne said...

PS-love the music on your blog.:)

Rachel said...

I love it! It is so funny how you vow that you will never own a mini van and then two kids later you are so excited to get one! We need to post a picture of the twins! Side by side.

Kelli said...

The first thing Jage said when I told him you guys got a minivan was, "So we're the only idiots who haven't bought one yet?" even though our Trailblazer fits 3 carseats. I guess he's jealous too =) It's fun to drive but I'd love for your DVD player to work when you pick us up at the airport.

Carrie Anne said...

Hey! So I was LOVING your music on your blog, so I already downloaded some Michael Buble songs, but I need more recommendations from you. I'm really into him this weekend.:)

Miriam said...

Love the car. I'm jealous of all of the room but I don't think I'm quite ready to be a minivan mom yet (if ever!) :) I tag you back (it's different) but you don't have to do it again if you don't want to. I probably wouldn't!

Elise said...

Hurray for the new minivan fam!
I have to say that it's much more impressive in person! I bet you're loving all that room and a DVD player would be awesome! Congrats, that really is exciting!

Megan said...

Wow, I guess you are a real grownup and stufff. :) Hey, I have a Nissan Sentra that is struggling right now and we are deciding when to get a new car. My car won't pass emissions so I am driving it around illegally. I guess Nissan Sentras struggle a bit. I don't think I will be going with the minivan just yet, but hopefully I can get something that doesn't leak oil and I won't get pulled over for driving. :)

Summer said...

Congratulations! I LOVE my minivan too - although I'm jealous of your leather seats and automatic doors : ) Hurray for minivans and for being moms