Thursday, October 25, 2007

Patterson's Farm

We went to Patterson's Farm Family Fun Fest (whew!) last Saturday afternoon. I thought it would be too cold to have fun, but I was proven wrong. We first took a tractor ride to the "fest" which my kids liked but I was too paranoid they would fall off the edge of the wagon to enjoy it too much. Plus the wind was blowing my hair all over the place so I couldn't see much anyway. Olivia played on the hay playground for a while, and Jack busied himself with perfecting his walk in the hay, which was really slippery so he mostly just fell and tried to eat the hay (like a horse?). Afterward we tried our luck with the corn maze, which was really just an non-stoller-friendly path through some corn. There was no "maze" but Olivia had fun. She kept telling me "Come on Mom! You can do it!" as I tried to push the stroller and Jack over the corn stalks we were caught in. When we finished the "maze" (which you exit the same place you enter- dumb) Adam found this awesome slide where the kids seriously flew down. It was made out of some sort of plastic, like PVC pipe (?) so it was slippery, plus it was really long. Olivia and Jack went down over and over again, then Adam decided to throw (literally) Jack down by himself on his back, so his shoes wouldn't slow him down. I thought Jack would freak out (Olivia would have at that age) but Jack just giggled and walked back up for more (the video of this is posted!). We have a slide addict on our hands! Anyway, we had a lot of fun, bought some pumpkins, and spent an afternoon together as a family. It was great times!

Olivia was so proud of her pumpkin. We bought some Crayola paint for her to paint hers with (hello- I'm not giving her a sharp object to try and carve it!). Adam, however, bought a special carving kit for his pumpkin. I'm just excited for the pumpkin seeds to roast!

5 comments:

Elise said...

So fun! This is on everyone's blog lately, we need to get out there before it's too cold! I can't belive how fearless Jack is going down that slide! The video of Olivia getting scared from the email is so sad, what a sweetheart, but I still couldn't help but laugh!

Stina said...

I love the pictures of your family in the tire swing. What a great idea! Love your guts!

PS. Did Olivia get any sleep after the video??

Seriously... said...

Carissa...about the cupcakes....all I did was use a chocolate cake mix, follow the directions on the box, except you beat the eggs really well before adding anything (make them a light yellow frothy color). Add the water and oil and a 1/2 box of large chocolate cook n serve pudding, THEN add the cake mix. Then add a little vanilla. I think the box says to bake them for 18-22 min, or something like that...i think i end up putting mine in for 13-15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out ALMOST clean. Oh, and the filling is 1 8 oz thing of cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 egg and a little0 vanilla (some mini chocolate chips are good in there too, if you have them). Drop about a Tsp of this on each cupcake before baking (it usually skinks down while they bake, though you may want to cover it a bit with batter. Anyway....glad you liked them! Talk to you soon

Kelli said...

Glad you had a good time, you certainly beat out of pumpkin farm...yours had slides and mazes and stuff. And you got a family photo, we always forget to do that.

Celeste Pearson said...

Jack is so cute on the slide. He is braver than Rix (who still only goes on slides when seriously coaxed - and by coaxed I mean thrown). Anyway, it sounded like a lot of fun and I love that Adam bought a carving kit - what a kid at heart!!!