Monday, October 15, 2007

Olivia's Obsession

Or should I say addiction? Olivia is officially addicted to Barbie movies. Like Barbie as Rapunzel or Barbie as the Island Princess. We now own 7 Barbie movies.... let me start at the beginning.

A long, long time ago (or 2 months ago) I bought Olivia a $5 Barbie movie while in Washington State. I figured it was a cheap way to bribe her on a long flight back to Cleveland where I was flying by myself with her and Jack and all I had to save my sanity was a portable DVD player. Anyway, you can say that the girl was hooked on Barbie of Swan Lake.

When I got back to Cleveland I immediately went to Target and bought 2 more of the $5 Barbie movies. I realized quickly that I had a new weapon to use as a bribe/threat. Olivia will do anything for a Barbie movie, including eat a dinner she does not like, take a bath she doesn't want, go to bed when she wants to stay up, and let me put piggy tails in her hair (for those of you who know how much Olivia loathes having her hair done, you'll understand). I even broke down and bought the brand new Barbie as the Island Princess for her at Costco when she was especially good one day. Adam told me that night "No more Barbie movies!" If only he knew the magic they cast on Olivia, and how well she behaves just to watch them!

So thank you to Stina for burning 3 more Barbie movies for me. Olivia absolutely loves them and was so excited to watch more Barbie. She has to dance like Barbie (she dances ballet in a lot of her movies) and actually looks good sometimes! She knows a lot of the songs and even tells Adam "Hi, I'm Barbie!" So for any of you with preschool aged girls, give Barbie a chance, she may save your sanity like she has mine. And in all honesty, they aren't that bad to watch either.

You know the last words I said to Olivia tonight? "Okay, love you, and go to sleep or you don't get to watch your Barbie movie tomorrow" and I haven't heard from her yet...

7 comments:

Kelli said...

See, there are reasons to be happy to have a boy! Barbie movies would drive me insane. Besides, bribes don't seem to work with Hayden. He negotiates too much. But at least you know she's a girly girl who dances ballet with Barbie.

Celeste Pearson said...

Adam didn't mean he didn't want Barbie movies anymore - he knows that he loves them as much as Livvy. You should try bribing him with them too!!! Anyway, Rix told me the other day he was a dancing princess - upon explanation we discovered he meant a BARBIE dancing princess. Thank you Jordyn for introducing Rix to Barbie. Bryan is so proud.

Stina said...

Can Olivia and I hang out? I love the Barbie movies just as much as she does, maybe more. Is that possible? My favorite is 12 Dancing Princesses. And I love that Olivia likes to dance. I love dancing!! Girls are so much fun!!!

Sarah Anne said...

My favorite is the 12 dancing princesses too. I want the soundtrack.

It must be the age Carissa. I have a worksheet that Emma brought home from nursery that says "Genevieve" next to where her name is supposed to be. The nursery leader walked up to me and said, "Your daughter's name is Emma right?" I said, "Yes, what did she do?" She replied by saying, "Oh nothing, she just wouldn't let anyone call her anything other than Genevieve."

Barbie movies are the coolest!

Misty said...

WE have a few Barbie movies but Abby doesn't LOVE them. I'm glad you found a bribe that works!

Summer said...

Hey, when you find something that works you gotta stick with it right? Sometimes I think I might rather be watching a Barbie movie than a movie about an airshow (a real one, not a cartoon) with Noah

Elise said...

At least Barbie is kind of hip. Brenna really loves James and the Giant Peach, have you seen that lately? It's weird, and little girls shouldn't like to watch shows for the human size bugs in them! I'm going to have to invest in some of these magic movies!