Wednesday, June 20, 2007

How the Poyfairs enjoy the sun

It has been really hot here in Cleveland! We've been past 90 a couple of times but usually it is in the 80s or upper 70s. And the humidity is starting as well, making the heat feel that much hotter... and stickier! I'm starting to get some sort of tan, which isn't saying much since I'm usually the beautiful color of Elmer's glue, but some color is better than no color, right? Olivia always wants to be outside and I try to stay in the shade so I don't get too hot, but Olivia has a way of making me be in the sun (like when I have to chase her down at the park when it's time to leave).
The kids and I ("the kids" does not include Adam, although usually it does) have a pool pass for the Shaker pool so we've been there a lot of times. They have a toddler pool that is gated off, and for Olivia this is like an extended, huge, 2 hour glorified bath tub. She rarely gets her head wet, but loves to run around and play with the toys they have for the kids to play with. Jack thinks the water is too cold, so he usually just stays with me under the umbrellas.

Olivia was cold today, since the weather was in the lower 70s, and she wouldn't get out of the pool because of the wind.

We also went to Kirtland last Friday to try out the Strawberry Festival. We parked about a mile away (I'm exaggerating, but it sure felt like a mile in the heat!) and got overpriced hot dogs and gyros for dinner, then Olivia went on some rides. She was so excited and even went on some rides all by herself. After some rides we went to get a funnel cake or strawberry shortcake, but somewhere in between dinner and the rides, the lines became outrageously long so we left and went to Cold Stone instead!

Riding the train all by herself. She gripped the steering wheel for dear life the entire way, but she sure was proud of herself when she got off. She also rode the tea cups all by herself too, and the whole time she was screaming at the top of her lungs, but in a "I'm-having-the-time-of-my-life" kind of way, with a huge grin on her face. It was so cute! The ride was too fast to get a picture of though.

We were clapping for Olivia and Jack clapped right along with us.



Anyway, we try and keep busy and have fun. I like to get the kids outdoors as much as possible, even if I myself don't necessarily enjoy sitting in the heat. It's always nice to see them having a blast at the pool or park though and maybe, just maybe, I'll get that tan that I've been working on for 27 years!

5 comments:

Sarah Anne said...

Sounds like you guys are having a blast. What a good momma you are! Enjoy yourselves and can't wait to see you.

Kelli said...

Tan? What's a tan? =) Its been in the 90s and 100s here...I'm so jealous of your cooler weather, but certainly not your humidity. What idiot would move to Ohio and have to deal with their weather?!?! Looks like you had fun...or atleast Olivia did!

Elise said...

I hear you about the elmers glue tan! I think I'm sporting more of the wax paper/transparent white look. It's lovely! Oh, and don't forget to add the freckles! I guess it's worth it for the kids!

Stina said...

You are such a fun mom. And I cracked up about your shade of elmer's glue! :) Funny funny!

Shirley said...

I wrote to you a few weeks ago re geneology. I would like to add you family to my research, but need further info ie parents names, on the Poyfair side, and any info you know about your ancestors