This year it seemed like October came and went in the blink of an eye. We didn't even have time for a real pumpkin patch or a hay ride. And we didn't paint or carve pumpkins this year either. Seriously, where did October go? We did, however, make it out to the Lakewood Fire Department Halloween festival. The kids got helmets for $7 (not the most attractive helmets, but they were cheap!) and got some fun trinkets at the booths. Afterwards we were the mean parents that refused to stand in line for the jumpy house and fire hose games, but we did let the kids pick out their own little pumpkins.
The mascot came and my kids loved him. Madelynn literally ran into his arms and buried herself in him.
They got to choose from all these cute little pumpkins.
Posing with their pumpkins.
Halloween this year was on a Sunday, so our ward had a chili dinner and Trunk or Treat on Saturday the 30th. Jack was Mario and he loved his costume. He has a mild obsession with Super Mario Bros. for the Wii (so much so that we had to ban him from the Wii during the week) and he loved dressing up as Mario. Olivia wanted to go as Princess Peach but the costume at the store was u.g.l.y. and I told her I wasn't making her one. She finally went with the Rapunzel idea. She really wants to see the new Tangled movie, plus she has a thing for blonde hair. Like she really thinks that blond hair is prettier than her brown hair and always asks me to color her hair. Weird. So she loved the idea of a long blond wig that went to the ground. Let me just say this was my first and last time making a wig! Madelynn was a BYU cheerleader. Basically because that was the costume Olivia was at that age and, let's face it, Madelynn doesn't care at this age what she dresses up as. Plus, she wasn't feeling so well with a little fever and wanted nothing to do with getting candy. All she wanted was for me to hold her and my arm still aches from it!
Olivia as Rapunzel. I got the wig idea from Family Fun and wasn't really hard to make, just a little time consuming. Olivia loved it.
Jack as Mario. I told him to make a Mario pose and this is what I got. He wore the mustache after dinner, though, so it didn't get unsticky. Or dirty from the chili.
Miss Madelynn did not want her picture taken and yelled "NO" at me every time the camera was pointed in her direction.
Jack in the Mario mustache. He looked like a little munchkin. It was so cute!
Madelynn refused to go get candy so I sat her on the back of our car with some M&Ms and she had a great time. She thought that all the scary masks were funny and giggled at everyone.
Olivia, Banner (Adam's coworker came with us and this is her son), Jack and Madelynn. Olivia's wig was heavy and kept falling off so we ditched it after the costume parade.
After we waited in line for balloon animals (or balloon swords), Madelynn had had enough and laid down in defeat on the floor, where Olivia attacked her with her balloon sword.
Jack and Olivia at Nana's house. My nephew Rix was really sick on Saturday night so my parents watched him while my sister took her other boys to the Trunk or Treat. We ran by their house on our way home so they could see the kids in their costumes.
Halloween night we went to my parents house for dinner. We had Cafe Rio salads and pumpkin cupcakes (recipe here, I just doubled it to use all the cake mix and made regular cupcakes instead of mini ones. Celeste made cream cheese frosting too instead of chocolate. They were yummy!) and hung out. Apparently there is something in the air because Madelynn a fever on Saturday night, Olivia had in Sunday and had to go home from church to Nana's to take a nap, and Jack got it at dinner time. We found him like this on the couch in front of a movie:
For those of you less acquainted with Jack, this is way out of character. He shuns sleep like the plague! He had a 101.9 temperature and when I woke him up to go home he said he just wanted to go to sleep. Poor kid! He was better by morning, though.
Olivia felt better by dinner and watched the movie with Papa.
This was from a couple weeks ago, but I haven't been on top of blogging so I'll throw it in here. Olivia had picture day and I always get crap about not doing her hair for pictures, so we pulled it partway back and I curled her hair. Cute huh?
I found Madelynn the other day laying like this on the floor and coloring. She has been into coloring lately and although it only lasts a few minutes, she still likes it. She even colored on one of my nice temple pictures with a pen :) Thank goodness for Magic Eraser!


3 comments:
I love Jack's Marion mustache!! Too cute. Good job on Olivia's wig! Rylynn loves Rupunzel. Maybe we'll have to do that one next year. Olivia looks so grown up in that picture with your Dad. Too bad all your babies were sick. It sounds like it was a short bug though, so that is nice. Those pumpkin cupcakes sound so good. Especially with the cream cheese frosting. You know I love cream cheese frosting:)
That Madelynn is such a character! I can't wait to see her in person! And I love Jack's Mario costume, I think my boys might want to steal it. Good job on the wig, I will google cute Halloween costumes and have you make my kids' costumes for next year :)
Sounds like an awesome Halloween! Your ward is so active! And poor Jack, that picture is so sad!
And don't feel too bad about the pumpkins, we didn't carve ours either. We just didn't feel up to the challenge and I don't feel like cleaning up afterwards :)
Post a Comment