Well, we went anyway and I think my views have changed. I still wouldn't camp there, but there is running water (yeah!) and showers (yeah!) and electricity (yeah!) but still too much dirt and too many mosquitos (and not enough 5-star hotels) for me to camp there.
Anyway... we had a lot of fun. It was actually a Friday through Sunday camping thing, but we only came Saturday afternoon (after much needed naps). The stake had rented a bouncy house and a blow up slide for the kids. My kids love those and Jack was having so much fun that he was red and sweaty within ten minutes. Someone had also rigged some swings made out of huge buckets with the tops cut off and ropes put inside to tie to the huge trees. One thing about the rec property- it's beautiful. The trees are so tall and green and the paths are very well taken care of. There is also a beautiful grove with wooden benches and a stage that, at girls camp, is where the talent show, sing-a-longs, etc are held.
So the stake fed us dinner. My dad, being in the stake presidency, was helping out so I knew it would be good. We had hamburgers and chips and hot dogs and cole slaw. The kids just wanted to swing. It was lots of fun. And the next morning, after we had gone home to our warm beds inside our house with water and electricity and no bugs (at least not that I can see), we went back to the property for a special sacrament meeting. Most people go to the stake center for one there, but I'd never been to the meeting at the property and wanted to see what it was like. My kids behaved pretty well and they liked sitting in camp chairs for sacrament meeting. Afterwards we joined Celeste's ward for a potluck lunch and then the kids went swinging some more. It was lots of fun and we can't wait to go next year!
Madelynn sat on the side of the slide with Papa for a while.
Then Rix helped her down the slide and I love the look on his face.
My dad and brother (and Brother Behm) manning the BBQ.
Have you ever seen such dirty kids?! Between the food, the sand from the volleyball game and the dirt, my kids were gross by the end of the night. Here's my proof:
Here are the swings. They were so cool! I'll even admit that Celeste and I tried out the blue ones and got so dizzy because we kept spinning each other so hard to try and make the other sick!
Olivia and Cole- it's like Olivia is on a roller coaster or something.
Olivia and Jack.
Do you see how dirty Jack is. That is pure sand and dirt, not a tan! People kept laughing at him because he was so dirty and I got more than one offer to hose him down.
Bryce and Jack spinning.
Madelynn even had her turn. We didn't go very high because there were no restraints, but she loved it.
Don't worry, we had a "pre-bath" before his regular bath that night!


6 comments:
Those swings were so fun! I seriously want one at my house. And the Pioneer Celebration was a lot of fun. In the past the have done fireworks - maybe next year?
Holy dirt Carissa! I love those swings, what a fun idea! All our ward did was a scout breakfast. At 7am. And we had to pay to go. Love your stake! And goodness, send me Madelynn, she is growing up too fast!
That is too funny! Jack looks homeless! Those swings look like so much fun though. What a cool place. I'm with ya on girls camp. I was not a huge fan either.
So, I've been camping with young women in Utah--and I don't know where the rumors started, but they don't have air conditioning or cabins. Maybe the new Heber valley one his it. But, I haven't seen horseback-riding either. I'm sure it was probably one ward in Park City with a huge budget maybe, although they're not given such a huge budget anymore. No fund-raising for those rich wards. From what I hear anyway. Although the young women in our ward went white water rafting for girl's camp. How come I wasn't in the presidency then?
Anyway, it looked like a blast. And how cool to still celebrate Pioneer Day when you don't live in Utah. I was always confused about it when we visited Utah when I was a kid. Love it now! Another reason to party!
Love how dirty your kids got! Did you have to scrub the ring that Jack left?
Those swings are awesome!
those swings are so cool, sad we missed it, but we would NOT have had such a cool time without dad! you would have been surprised, the stake center felt desolate!. . .weird. Glad you had a much better experience at the recreation property. the girls are at girls camp this week at the much cooler Zion's camp! Guess you grew up in the stake at the wrong time:)
Post a Comment