So Celeste bought the Happy Birthday sign at the store in a hurry and when she put it up she realized that it said "Happy 1st Birthday" so she ripped off the "1st" part. Rix said that it was fine, she could have just left it on there and she said "But Rix, it isn't your 1st birthday. It's your 5th!" And I said "Um, Celeste, it's his 6th birthday. He's turning 6."
I made the cupcakes for his party. Celeste told me the idea and then I baked up some chocolate cupcakes like Rix wanted. (I used my friend Kendra's way of "doctoring" them up by using a box cake mix, 1/2 cup melted butter, 4 eggs, 1/2 cup water, 1 small box instant chocolate pudding mix and 8 oz sour cream. You just mix them up and bake them according to the box directions). We put them on a foam board I got at Michaels and taped some gift ribbon onto the board under each cupcake, then gathered the ribbon up at the end and tied them together and curled the ends. It was so easy and super cute!
Madelynn slept through most of the party, but went straight for the licorice when she woke up.
On Saturday, I was in the kitchen all afternoon making cupcakes and Texas Caviar for a BBQ at some friends' house. We went to the same BBQ last year and had a blast so we were happy to be invited again! Unfortunately my kids do not own any patriotic clothes (mainly because I think red is not a color any of them look particularly good in, especially Jack) but whatever. We ate way too much food and the kids played on the trampoline and swingset until we all headed out front to watch the fireworks in the cul de sac. It was really amazing (and slightly scary) to be so close to the fireworks this year. Last year we left the BBQ early to see the fireworks in Steilacoom over the Puget Sound, but this year we just stayed with friends and watched their fun show. I thought Madelynn would not like the noise but she loved every minute of it, including the part where she got to stay up until 10pm!
Waiting for the fireworks to start. I think Madelynn's smile is funny. When she sees the camera she will stop whatever it is she's doing and say "eeeeez" (cheese) with this goofy smile.
Loving the fireworks and having his own seat.
The hostess had made a bunch of patriotic hair bands and bows for the guests so I put one in Olivia's hair even though it didn't match. We'll sacrifice fashion for patriotism!
I love the look on her face when ever a loud firework went off.
And I love this even better. She really liked that firework!
Madelynn took down Jack and he loved it. Someone is wrestling with him!
Funny. Adam would say "Ooohh.... ahhhh" after every firework so Jack started saying "Ooohh, ahhhhh, ooooh, ahhh" for every firework, but he said it in this "I'm so tired but I want to pretend I'm awake" voice.
Proof that I was there! I may look like death but I'm there!
On Sunday we went to a church potluck and then headed over to Celeste's house for another one, or what Adam and I like to call our "Second dinner" or "Dinner #2" which we were not ashamed about.
There is that cheesy smile I love!
I think I'm playing peekaboo behind the tortilla chips? And someone remind me to wear lipstick please?
Madelynn did not like the cone hat but Papa thought it was funny that she didn't like it.
But Madelynn doesn't hold grudges (well, she does, but not for that long) and she loves her Papa.
Throwing "Pop Its" at the ground. Bryan even put one under Celeste's toilet seat so she would get a little surprise when she used the bathroom. Sneaky little Bryan!
Sparklers! AKA One of the most unsafe things to give your children! Seriously, we just hand them these flaming sparkling sticks and expect no one to get hurt. Well, no one got hurt, but I was nervous the whole time! And I continue to buy them for my kids every year. Smart, huh?


4 comments:
How lucky are you to have three parties in one weekend? We spent ours with the stomach flu. Looks like so much fun out there! Miss you!
Every time I see yours and Celeste's blog, I get homesick. And jealous. Poor Hayden needs an awesome birthday party like Rix! My boys tried sword fighting with sparklers, safe eh? And I love Madelynn's smile, she is getting so big!
Looks like lots of fun!!
We should have totally gone to the BBQ! It was a fun weekend, and the pop it under the toilet seat was awesome :)
PS: Wear lipstick.
Post a Comment