Monday, October 19, 2009

Taking care of the sickies

We've all been a little under the weather the past week, starting with Olivia in Leavenworth, and continuing on with what feels like forever. Seriously, when will this end?! I've been wiping noses all week, serving nothing but chicken soup and Top Ramen and coughing up my own lung.

Jack was probably the most resilient. I know, he looks sad and all here, but really he's still moving nonstop and doing what he can to make his sisters (and mother) scream. He definitely does not like all the coughing, though.

This was Olivia's perch for the week that she missed school. She was going to bed at 7pm (practically begging me to go) and would sleep in until 10am, then beg me for a nap, although she had already been sleeping or laying down on the couch all day. She was miserable but there wasn't much I could give her besides Motrin and soup, which was pretty much all she'd eat. I'm so glad she is herself again!
Madelynn was only out for a couple of days. She was super clingy and tired for a little bit but as soon as I got some Motrin in her, she seemed to feel better. Now she's all better, except for her cough and ever-present runny nose.

While sick, Olivia LOST HER FIRST TOOTH! She and Jack were playing in the bath a few weeks ago and Olivia put some toy in her mouth, and then Jack pulled it out. Hard. All I know is that her bottom left tooth was twisted wrong. We took some xrays the next day at Adam's work and it showed that it was barely holding on, but her adult tooth is coming in soon anyway. So, we let nature run it's course and the other night I was checking on her after she went to bed and she sat up and said "My tooth came out and I didn't cry!" She's been a little anxious about it falling out and was convinced it would hurt. I said "Hooray! Where is it?" hoping she did not swallow it. She looked at me like I was crazy and said "Under my pillow... for the Tooth Fairy!" She was so excited for her treasure the next day. Congrats Livvy! Oh, and I promise to get a better picture now that she is feeling better!

This is what happens when you combine a sick little Madelynn with Motrin, a full tummy, her binky and her blanket. Seriously, she is out. Sitting up in her high chair.

I tried to keep her awake until Jack's naptime (LOVE it when the sleep at the same time!) so I took her binky and blanket away and tried to wake her up so I could feed her a little more lunch. Nothing. At all. I ended up just transferring her to her crib and she slept 3 more hours.

We seem to be on the tail end of this thing. Hopefully we are feeling 100% better by Saturday so we can go to the pumpkin patch for the bouncy houses and free pumpkins!

9 comments:

Kelli said...

What cute pictures! Luckily none of us are sick here! What did you end up giving Olivia for her tooth? I know that was a cause of concern for you :) Poor kids, all sick, I'm glad you guys are starting to feel better.

Miriam said...

Sickies are no fun! I love Madelyn asleep in her high chair. She's such a cute little thing. Hope everyone is better soon!

Rachel said...

That's so sad you guys got hit so hard with all this yuckiness! I love the picture of Madelynn asleep in the high chair! I can't believe Olivia's tooth really fell out that fast. What did the tooth fairy bring her? I hope you guys all get better soon. It is the worst to be sick as the mom when you have to take care of all the sick kids.

Stina said...

But Jack looks so sad in his picture! My Kade has been sick and he is usually my crazy psycho one, and he's sleeping sleeping sleeping. I hope everyone's healthy for when we leave this weekend! They can be sick when I come back home!

Summer said...

Oh that stinks! I'm sorry you guys are so sick! It's especially sad to see Jack look so sick because he usually has his adorable happy grin in all his pictures. Get well soon!

Seriously... said...

so if things don't work out between madelynn and kody there are 3 other wirig boys from which to choose...we have a lot of stock to choose from.

hope your kids are feeling better....parker was sick over the weekend, but so far no one else has come down with it...

Ana Lee said...

Madelyn looks so cute sleeping straight up haha. I'm sorry your kids have been sick! Hope everyone feels better soon!

Celeste Pearson said...

I need to be better at taking pictures of my kids when they are sick. I guess I'm just too busy taking care of them to take pictures :) Or maybe too sick myself to worry about it. Love the picture of Madelynn in the high chair. Why can't I ever be that tired?

Elise said...

Man being sick is the worst! Hopefully everyone was better by the weekend! We've been sick here forever too, I blame Bren, he brought something home from work and made life miserable for a good month. I totally feel for Madelynn sleeping sitting straight up, I feel that tired all the time, poor girl, she sure is cute!