Thursday, October 8, 2009

Feeding the Ducks

On Sunday, in between conference sessions, we decided to take the kids to the Steilacoom park to feed the ducks. We met Celeste and her kids there too. The ducks knew exactly what we were there for and they all flocked to our side of the lake as soon as they saw us there. And they were not shy ducks either! I had to teach the kids to say "Shoo!" so they wouldn't get trampled by all the ducks! Jack thought it was more fun to throw rocks at first, which I stopped quickly when I realized he was throwing them at the ducks, not the water. Olivia loved feeding the ducks, although the ducks were a little aggressive so she ended up throwing bread far away from her so they would leave her alone. It was a lot of fun, it reminded me of when I was younger and growing up here in Lakewood. My family would feed the ducks a lot and it was nice to pass the tradition on to my own kids.


The ducks kept walking towards Olivia, so she kept backing away from them, so they would walk towards her, and she would back away from them... and so on and so on.


Jack was sad that a duck came and stole his whole piece of bread out of his hand. See?! Aggressive little suckers!

Madelynn loved being outdoors but didn't care at all about the ducks.


8 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

You forgot to mention that Olivia was feeding the ducks CRUMBS. Seriously, she would tear off a teeny tiny little piece of bread and feed it to the poor ducks. That's probably why they were following her so much, the wanted MORE!!! :) We should do it again! And this time bring more bread!

Seriously... said...

that looks like a beautiful park!!! i always secretly wanted to live in the north west....you're making me rethink my bay area decision :)

Rachel said...

That looks like a lot of fun! What a great conference day activity. Jack looks so offended about the duck stealing his bread.

Stina said...

Austin was bit by an aggressive duck once. And, there were big ol' geese there too. I'm not such a big fan of bully ducks! Looks like fun!

Kelli said...

Olivia looks so ANGRY at the ducks! How cute, I don't think they have anything like that here in Utah (??). Her hair is getting long again, planning on cutting it or what?

Nana Lynda said...

Looks like a lot of fun. I love Olivia's face. So dramatic. Glad it was a nice for you to visit the park.

Ana Lee said...

haha your kids are so cute. Olivia and Jack crack me up! I love feeding ducks. We use to always go down to the pond by my dad's old work and feed them. Such a fun little activity for kids :)

Summer said...

Steilacoom is so pretty! Was that the park you showed me when I was there? Looks like so much fun!