I am at the end of my rope with Jack (I'm sure that is not surprising for most of you).
The kid will not stay in bed at night. He was put to bed almost an hour and a half ago and I have found him sneaking upstairs or turning on and off his light at least ten or so times already. Every time he will run back to his room and say "Sorry Mommy!" and then minutes later he will be sneaking out again.
I've tried bribing with cookies.
I've tried threatening with no cookies.
I've even spanked his cute little bum. Nope, he didn't cry. He smiled and said "Good night!" and then snuck back upstairs five minutes later with a bouncy ball ready to play.
How do you keep an ornery, stubborn, red-headed imp in bed?! I need help with this one. My next step is to sit outside his room and catch him in the act until he actually goes to bed, but I really don't want to do that. I have a house to unpack!
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
When Bryce did (or does) that, my doctor told me to be consistent with how you handle it, like you could just pick him up and put him in bed and say "Time for bed" every time, or you could do whatever worked for you. But you do it every time. It might take a week (or two, or three) but eventually he'll realize it isn't fun and he isn't getting a lot of attention from you. You could also try to give him a special treat in the mornings that he does stay in bed the night before. Just don't tell him beforehand he's getting it so he doesn't ask for it at night, but it might encourage him to stay in bed in the future if he knows he gets a special treat for doing so. Good luck!
Wow, good luck. My kids will play in bed but they know better than to actually come out! I think if it were my kids I'd handle it similar to Celeste's idea, to just keep putting them in bed with no emotion, sort of like teaching them to stay in time out. I do a similar thing when they are babies, when they wake up in the middle of the night to eat I just feed them, I don't talk to them or anything so they don't learn that they can wake up in the middle of the night for attention. Try Celeste's trick for a week or so and see what happens.
What a stinker that kid is! How can you not love him though when he says Sorry mama! Seriously though I hate it when my kids do that. I think it is hard in the summertime to go to bed cause it is usually still light outside. Try locking him in his room and duct taping one of those child lock things on the inside, that worked for Rylynn, well at least until she learned how to peel off the duct tape:)
I have the solution; J. Walter Weatherman.
The next time Jack turns on the light, send J. Walter Weatherman in there to turn it off. When he reaches up to slip the switch his arm falls off and blood squirts out of his stumpy shoulder. Then, when Jack freaks out crying Weatherman says, "That's why you don't turn the light on after bedtime."
Problem solved. You're welcome.
Garrett - WHAT THE?!!!
We used to lock Andrew's door...seems kinda mean, but it's a lot less messy than Garrett's idea! Ü
That's funny that he says "sorry mama" every time! They shouldn't be so darn cute when you're trying to be stern!
I was doing the same thing last night with Megan and Jeremy. Megan is usually pretty good, but last night she kept sneaking out to get books. She eventually fell asleep with a stack of books next to her. Jeremy I did the same- bribing, threatening, and eventually spanking. I eventually stayed outside their doors and took off nasty wallpaper--something that needed to be done, just not right then.
That is really frustrating, good luck. I'm glad I'm not dealing with it yet! :) So you guys are in your new house?
Jack might be too young to use logic, but tell him that his bed is for sleeping on. If he's not going to use it, then he has to sleep on the floor. Take his mattress and put it in your room for a couple of nights. Tell him he gets it back when he will sleep on it.
Carissa, we are dealing with the exact same thing with Eli! He's so naughty at night! He'll be up walking around the house after we go to bed sometimes at 10:30, when we've put him to bed 2 1/2 hours earlier. I don't know what to do! Then sometimes he's waking up at 4:30 for the day and freaking out when we try to put him back to bed. It's killing me, I'm exhausted every day! Is Jack still napping? Eli is awesome about staying in bed for his nap, but I've also tried not letting him nap so he'll be tired and want to sleep when we put him to bed but that just makes him so grouchy and doesn't seem to help.
I'm going to have to try what Celeste said, (that's what super nanny says to do too) we were being more consistent in Cleveland (yes this has been going on for a long time!) before I had Ez and we moved across the country. Poor kid, there's probably just too much change right now, lets cross our fingers that it's just a phase, and that it's almost done!
We have one of those too, but not to that extent! We put a childproof handle on the inside of the door so he can't open it. The result is lots of screaming and crying, but that usually ends after they figure it out. Good luck!
Mia used to do that with her naps and we put one of the childproof knobs on too. One time I found her asleep on the top of her dresser on the changing pad asleep. If he can still open the door you can just take off the indoor knob. You'd have to ask Amanda how to do that. Or do what Summer did. You can always put a hook lock on the outside.
Post a Comment