Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Easter 2009

We started off Easter with a little egg hunt at the church on Friday morning. Jack and Olivia were super excited about this. It was fun because Jack finally understood what the hype was all about. We got to find 12 eggs per kid. Jack picked out all the eggs shaped like footballs and soccer balls and Olivia would only pick eggs that were pink or purple. I was like "Olivia I think I see an egg over there!" and she would say "It's yellow and I'm looking for a pink one" and then she would steer Jack over to the egg, but he would just ignore it like it wasn't there until he found a sports ball. My kids would be the only ones who are selective about their candy. Afterwards we gathered in the cultural hall for a little potluck lunch, but the kids seriously ate almost all their candy and I, being the awesome Mom that I am, let them.
Like I said, super excited.Jack, although excited, was a little subdued about the whole thing since it was from 2-4pm (aka Jack's nap time).Olivia counted her eggs to make sure she got only 12. I told her that it was the rule and I was surprised that when I told both my kids that they got 12 each and were done, they were very good about stopping and going into the gym to wait for their friends.

Easter Sunday was pretty low key. Adam and I both spoke in Sacrament meeting and I sang in the choir. We weren't invited any where and didn't have any big plans, so Easter dinner was pretty simple. We had a small ham, mashed potatoes and green beans. I burned the crescent rolls and didn't realize the dessert had to chill for 2 hours, so we didn't have those either. We didn't dye eggs or do our own egg hunt (kind of boring with just your own two kids).
Olivia and Madelynn in their matching dresses (thanks so much Amanda!)The only picture where all three kids are looking at me.The Easter bunny did hide the kids baskets while they napped and they loved finding them. Olivia got some Barbie movie soundtracks that she loves and Jack got some sports balls (soft ones) among a chocolate bunny each and some candy. It was a pretty laid back day for our last holiday in Cleveland, but I'm glad the kids had fun. Hopefully next year is a little more eventful.

Olivia found her basket in Madelynn's crib. She got Barbie and the Diamond Castle soundtrack and Barbie Sings! (which is soundtracks from Rapunzel, Princess and the Pauper, Nutcracker and Swan Lake). Olivia loves Barbie movies, and sadly so does Jack, and they sing the songs all the time so I knew she would love to have the music.Even though the Easter bunny doesn't hide baskets well in our house, Jack still needed some prodding to find his (hello? he can't see the huge lump under his quilt?). He loves his sports balls and uses them as weapons. Well, he uses everything as a weapon these days, but at least these are soft. He is especially partial to the basketball and football.Sorry, I had to add this last picture in. I love her wide-eyed look. It just makes me laugh. She really does look like a mini-Olivia, doesn't she? We love our little Madelynn!

8 comments:

Janelle said...

I don't remember if I told you or not (I know I told Olivia), but I love those dresses! Especially Olivia's with the big twirly skirt.

Celeste Pearson said...

I love their Easter outfits. And I love Jack's - it must be nice just having to buy one! And sorry your Easter mimicked my Thanksgiving - I know how hard that is! Your friends that didn't have you guys over will be so sad next year when you are too far away to have over!! Haha - in their face! :)

Stina said...

I too let me kids eat their candy. I tried saving it on top of the fridge, then realized i kept sneaking it. So, to save myself (and their childhood), I handed it over and told them to eat!!

Summer said...

I'll say it again - I LOVE the new Easter duds! Those polka dot dresses are ADORABLE!!! Such cute pictures!

Rachel said...

That was a fun little party even though the time of day was weird! Can you email me those pics of my kids? Your kids looked so cute in their fancy easter clothes. I love that last picture of Madelynn all wide-eyed! I thought you were going to celebrate Easter with Kelli otherwise we would have had you to our little party. The egg rolling contest just wasn't the same without you guys!

Kelli said...

Sorry your Easter was uneventful, as was mine, so I am sympathetic. No one invited us either =( Sad, since us Hjelms are always the life of the party (not Adam, just you!). I love the dresses, is there one in my size? Also, I can't get those headbands to look cute on Aubrey, she has too much hair, or maybe I just need you to show me how to do it. Stupid me. =)

Ana Lee said...

I love their cute outfits too! I also love how excited Olivia was to find her eggs and basket. It made me laugh they were so picky about which eggs they found, haha. Your girls are so beautiful! And of course your boy is very handsome too :)

Kellie said...

Ours was pretty low key, too. Especially dinner. I kinda forgot to buy groceries for it. I think we threw something together that normally doesn't go together. I love that Jack uses everything as weapons. Jeremy makes guns out of everything. Your kids are so cute:)