Sunday, December 14, 2008

O (real) Christmas Tree

We went to the Whispering Pines tree farm on Saturday to pick out our first real Christmas tree. It was bitterly cold, but at least it was not snowing or raining. The kids were really excited to get taken to the trees because horses pulled us the whole way. Jack didn't even want to get off, and then when he did get off, he wandered away from us toward some smaller trees. I thought, Hey, what a cute picture that is! and snapped away. Little did I know I documented my son standing shin deep in a humongous puddle hidden by snow and ice.
He was so mad! I felt bad for him because I knew it was about 28 degrees outside and we hadn't even looked at any trees yet. I carried him for a little bit and then we started seriously looking at trees so we could find one quickly before Jack started losing toes. We finally found one we thought would fit nicely in our house. It wasn't too tall but was round, which is what I wanted. I didn't want a skinny tree. Adam cut it down and we took it to the wagon to be carried back to the front, where they shook and baled it for us. Oh, and Jack also fell in a snow ditch on the way to the horses. He had a tough day! We went to the little cabin and got some free cocoa, but skipped out on the free hot dogs and smores because it was really busy and poor Jack was freezing, even indoors. We got to the car and took his socks and shoes off and his poor feet were red and ice cold so I held them while we drove and put his socks on the vent to dry off.
After the kids took naps, we set up the tree. We had to cut a little more off once we got home because the trunk was curved a little and the tree kept falling over. Once we had it up, though, we decorated it with the ornaments (shatterproof ones!) the kids picked out at Target. They each put up one ornament and then decided they were done.

Olivia put on her pink ornament and then decided she was too cold to continue, so she sat on the couch with her Trader Joe's kettle corn and watched me do the rest. Jack thought he was being helpful by taking the ornaments Adam was trying to put hooks on.It was a fun experience, although it was really cold and Olivia kept asking where the farm was (we kept explaining that it was a tree farm and there were no animals). I think next year we'll have just as much fun decorating a fake tree in the warmth of our own home... or maybe we'll live somewhere that doesn't believe in snow (cross my fingers!) and then we'll get another real tree when I'm not freezing!

7 comments:

Ana Lee said...

How fun! Real trees are so neat, they make your home really smell like Christmas. I grew up with real trees, but they are a lot more work so now we have a fake one. Your tree is beautiful though! That is so funny how they "helped" you decorate. What a bummer Jack had such a rough day!

We got your gifts dropped in the mail last week. You're supposed to get them on Wednesday. You can take them out of the box and put them under the tree because they are wrapped.

Hope you keep enjoying the holidays! We love you guys!

Kelli said...

For the second year in a row we didn't put up a tree, we'll just have to love yours when we get there. And whoever thought of shatterproof ornaments is super smart! Sorry Jack had a rough time, but seriously you could have sacrificed a few toes to find the tree of your dreams =)

Jon and Caprice said...

I love Christmas trees! I bet your house smells good. I'm excited to go to Wa because my mom always has real trees. Good luck with the induction! I wish I were going to be here to help you out with the kiddies. I hope it goes smoothly!

Lane family said...

Are you seriously sitting at home baking Christmas cookies for people, less than 2 weeks from having your baby?! I think your crazy... but I'm glad you are! I'm sitting here watching biggest looser eating one (or 3) They are the best sugar cookies ever! Thank you!

Stina said...

How fun! Sorry little Jack struggled so much. Sounds normal for a guy his size. I would love a real tree, but they're so expensive. We could go cut one down, but Brent's truck doesn't have 4-wheel drive! Horse-drawn carriage sounds like the way to go!

Celeste Pearson said...

Oh how I love reading your blog. Funny funny. Anyway, I love the idea of picking out the tree. It so beats driving to Fred Meyer and picking one out! Your tree looks very pretty :)

Jess said...

Hey! Just wanted to wish you guys a Merry Christmas!! Hope you are enjoying the holidays and your real tree smell!!

Love,
Justin and Jess Cranney