Thursday, November 20, 2008

My little brother got married!

A couple of weekends ago we all flew out to Utah for my little brother's wedding. Why does it take a 4 hour, nonstop flight with my kids to remind me why I hate flying with my kids? As cute as they are, they are not easy to entertain on a flight where they have to stay in their seat for four hours. I can hardly get them to last through an hour of sacrament meeting so I don't know what I was expecting from a plane ride where I felt like I had to apologize ahead of time to all the people around me (one very rude guy actually said "How long is this flight?" to his wife, loud enough for us to hear, when my sister and I and our husbands and our 5 kids boarded the flight and sat down behind him. He even yelled at my nephew for kicking his chair once. Yeah, it was that kind of flight). We survived by packing enough food, crayons and sanity to last us until we landed, although next time we will remember to charge the DVD player all the way so we don't have it die an hour into the flight!

Anyway, it was a lot of fun. We haven't been to Utah in almost 2 years and actually didn't expect to go back for a long time. I love the mountains and it was so welcoming to see them even if they were covered in snow. We didn't get to go every where we wanted to, but I did get to See's Candies to get myself some chocolate and we ate at Brick Oven (all 20+ people who joined us!). We didn't get to Cafe Rio or Noodles & Co like we wanted to, but Adam went to the Distribution Center which apparently makes up for the fact that I didn't get my sweet pork salad...
The family festivities started out Friday with family pictures. I don't know who talked me into taking family pictures while almost 8 months pregnant, but I hope they turned out okay. Jack was running on very little sleep and an interrupted nap so the pictures ended up looking like a happy family with one crying redhead. Afterwards we went to PF Changs to meet with the rest of the wedding party and get some delicious food.
Jack watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on my brother-in-law's phone. It kept him entertained while we waited for the food, and I totally want that feature on my phone now!

The next morning, my sister Kelli blessed her new baby girl Aubrey. She wore the most adorable blessing gown and was very good during the blessing (from what I hear, since I was in the hallway with Jack who wanted Papa since Papa had mints in his pocket and Jack knew this so he was making all kinds of noise).
Baby Aubrey in her blessing gown.Kelli, Christina, Celeste, Destiny and me (see why I didn't want to take pictures?)Kelli and Aubrey. She is adorable (Aubrey I mean, although I can't say anything mean about Kelli since I look a heck of a lot like her!)

After the blessing we grabbed some lunch and headed up to the Salt Lake Temple for Kory's wedding. He married the cutest girl, Ana Lee Nelson. It was a beautiful ceremony and it's always so inspirational for me to go to a sealing because it helps me remember my own wedding and feel closer to Adam. The kids stayed outside with my sister Celeste's mother- and sister-in-law. Boy, did they have their hands full with the 8 kids between my sisters and I! Thanks Karen and Cindy!
Kory and Ana Lee as they left the temple. Aren't they so cute together?
Afterwards, Jack took a 20 minute nap in the car and I think Olivia got about 5 minutes, then we hung out with Adam's sister Becky and her family while we got ready for the reception. It was held at Le Jardin in Sandy, which is an indoor nursery type place. It had tons of rock paths, waterfalls, plants and flowers. So, pretty much it was not child proof at all. The kids seemed to do okay as long as we were watching them (as soon as we turned our backs they were in the fountains getting soaking wet). And now for the onslaught of wedding pictures:
Olivia with her cousins Hayden and Rix. They loved goofing off together.Jack in his cute little outfit. We tried to tuck in his shirt but he would pull it out right away. He still looked so grown up!Olivia actually took the picture of Adam and I. She took some really good pictures at the wedding, like the following two of the bouquet and cake:

Yeah, so I'm a little proud of her skills. Kids' perspectives are so interesting.Jack loved the fondue fountain, mostly the pineapple and strawberries.Jack and Olivia watching the wedding video with Papa. It was one of the few times of the night Jack sat still for more than 60 seconds.

Kory and Ana Lee cutting their cake. The cake was designed after her dress so it was beautiful.

Even with all the chaos and lack of sleep, we had a lot of fun seeing family and being together. It was a lot of fun to see my sister Celeste and her family since I hadn't seen them since last Christmas and it was really hard to leave her again. It was awesome to see my sister-in-law Becky and her family and they were so nice to let us stay at their house even though we were gone more than we were there. It was fun while it lasted but we were sure glad to get home to regular sleep schedules and... well, that's it. Just sleep. It's nice.

5 comments:

Ana Lee said...

Carissa! I love you, thanks for all of the sweet things you said. I am so glad you guys were able to be there, despite the crazy flight, we wouldn't have wanted it any other way! That guy was a jerk! I'm so sorry you had to deal with that.

By the way you are still beautiful 8 months pregnant. I LOVE Olivia's pictures! They are so good.

I hope things are going well. Don't have too much fun without us over Thanksgiving! We'll miss you! (kind of, you know a much as we can since we'll be on our honeymoon haha). Love ya!

Stina said...

It was so so so so fun to see you! I miss you tons. I love that maybe your sisters will someday move to Utah so I'll always have an excuse to see you. And, I'm with Ana Lee, you are a cute pregnant girl!

Rachel said...

I love Olivia's pictures! She has a career in photography ahead of her I think. The kids looked adorable in their wedding clothes. You didn't mention the other incident on the flight! Haha, glad you guys had fun!

Kelli said...

What's the "other" incident on the flight Rachel is talking about... I should know, I was there, but I'm not sure - Hayden's pants? Anyway, you are cute pregnant! I'm sure your photos turned out great. I love Olivia's photos too, we'll have to check out Black Friday deals for a camera for her.

Celeste Pearson said...

It was such a fun trip - I can't believe it had been so long since I had seen you all! And I don't know when I will see you all again! Anyway, I love Olivia's pictures and I am totally giving Rix my camera to see what he can do. The perspective is so cool! Let me know how your Thanksgiving goes (mine will be LAME!!).