So how did I end up at Olivia's school with a man who calls himself The Reptile Man? Because I'm a pushover. Ask anyone, especially Celeste (who lovingly brought to my attention this character flaw of mine), about it. As soon as my kids cry or whine or even ask me for something, I will usually give in. I hate for them to be sad or upset or even mad at me. I really need to put my foot down sometimes! Anyway, Olivia came home with a flyer about this guy who was coming to her school last Wednesday evening to showcase some reptiles and (shudder) have the opportunity to touch and hold some of them. So despite my aversion to all things creepy and slithery, I became a pushover and said yes.
The kids had a lot of fun. We sat and listened to The Reptile Man (seriously, I don't even know his actual name) while he showed his some deadly snakes. He insisted that their venom had been removed but I was still wary of my kids touching them later in the evening. He also showed us some other things, like an iguana the size of Madelynn, a small alligator and a turtle. He even came out with a boa constrictor. I swear I read a book when I was a child about being squeezed by one. Or was it a song? Anyway, I wouldn't let my kids didn't go near that one!
Madelynn took to walking around the back of the gym while the man talked.
I know it's blurry, but it shows how BIG this thing is. SO BIG. And heavy.
He wants to eat me. He's watching me with his beady red eyes!
This guy made me the most nervous. He just sat there like he was surveying his prey. It was like he was too calm. It was very unnerving!
I like that Uncle Bryan brought them up to the back away from his head. And in the front was a super long line that we ignored.
If you can see, she is clawing the poor thing. I am surprised that the snake didn't flinch or anything. He must be used to kids and their long nails!
This poor, poor turtle. He just sat on the floor with his legs and arms and head pulled into his shell while kids drummed on him and poked his little toes. He probably has a really special happy place he goes to on nights like this.
Adam looks much too happy to be holding that thing. Is that it's tongue sticking out!? I can't tell...
Olivia had no fear. I thought that the snake felt like boots (sorry! but it's the truth!) but with moving muscles underneath. It wasn't gross, just weird enough that I was okay touching it once and then I was done.
Proof that I held it! It was heavy, not slimy, but weird and I had to have picture proof that I held a snake so I never have to do it again!


8 comments:
Yep, that was definitely a tongue sticking. Ho.ly.cow. that thing is huge! I would probably be a little freaked out, but more intrigued. The thing I don't like about this snake is the yellow and white. That's creepy.
I'm pretty sure all of those animals wanted to eat you, even the turtle. I would have gone with my kids too, I'm not a huge pushover with them, but I love to give them new opportunities.
I LOVE your face in that picture!! So funny. It just screams, "I hate this, but I'm doing it because I feel pressured into it!" That is so funny that Olivia wasn't scared at all. I would think she would be freaked out by the snakes especially. My kids would love to see those and be a little terrified all at the same time. You are brave!!
Good for you guys! I think that is the same game that came to a camp that I was a counselor at just after high school. I love that he names the big albino snake "Baby!" Really fits, don't you think!
I hate snakes. I can't believe Adam held the head. I bet he kissed it too!
That iguana was totally picking out it's dessert. Which kid do I want to eat tonight.... And you are a pushover :) But I'm also a mean strict mom. We need to meet somewhere in the middle!
I HATE SNAKES and reptiles. I am so glad I did not go...yuck. And it is even at my school. Glad the children loved it. I just shiver looking at the pictures.
This is the same guy that was at Hayleighs school and to be honest the snakes freaked me out but the amount of love he had for them and the way he described them living in his home creeped me out more. Brian thought the guy was a creep too. Hayleigh LOVED it and I think Hannah would have gladly tried to lick one had I let her get close enough to touch them. That thought makes me ill. Way to be braver than me. I used Hannah as my excuse not to get close.
Post a Comment