Thursday, March 12, 2009

Who knew I'd miss this place?! (Part 1)

We are officially moving. Adam graduates May 17 and we move out four days later. As happy and elated I am that Adam is finally done with dental school and we are moving very close to family, I am starting to feel that it is a little bittersweet as well. Moving here we knew it was temporary but I have still gotten attached to a few things that I'm really going to miss:
***
Thornton Park pool- For two summers in a row, I stood in line at the Thornton Park center and bought my early bird pass to the pool. For $60, my kids and I had something to do for an entire summer and it was so worth it. A perfect kiddie pool that was gated in and had a covered area for those of us who have pasty white skin that burns easy.
Kirtland and This is Kirtland!- I think of all the amazing places in and around Cleveland, Kirtland is probably my favorite. It was such a wonderful experience to live near a historic church site like Kirtland, with the beautiful temple and the LDS visitor's center. I have done both the temple and LDS site tours many times and both are worth it every time. Even more, I will miss performing in This is Kirtland! Even with the massive amounts of travel time and rehearsals, I enjoyed every minute of it. Once we were actually performing in front of audiences, I could tell that I was apart of something that was touching the hearts of members and nonmembers alike. I even cried in my very last performance because I realized that I probably would never again have an opportunity to share my testimony on stage like I did when I was in the musical. I even got to share the stage with Olivia this last summer, making it even more exciting!
Giant Eagle, and more importantly, The Eagle's Nest- For those of you outside of Ohio, Giant Eagle is one of the bigger grocery chains. I love the one in Legacy Village because it is so nice. I know where everything is and the people at the bakery, bank and checkouts know who I am and love my kids. Best of all, they have The Eagle's Nest, which is free babysitting for kids 3 and up while you shop. Olivia loves it there. She can color, play computer games, play house and dolls or watch a movie. It is so nice to have one less child to worry about while I shop, and best of all it is free!
***
I will also miss Patterson's farm, the Christmas tree farm, my kids' doctor, University Hospital, being so close to a Cheesecake Factory and California Pizza Kitchen, being within a day trip of Palmyra and Niagara Falls, fuel perks at Giant Eagle, Olivia's preschool and of course all of our friends (you know who you are!).
***
I will not miss: the endless amount of potholes, the shut down of traffic whenever there is a funeral procession, the "no turn on red" signs, hardwood floors, and the words "lake effect snow" that lasts until Easter, having to drive more than 10-15 minutes to get places, weather so cold that my face freezes and so hot that I am melting.

9 comments:

Miriam said...

Hard to believe its over isn't it? It seems like the closer we get to moving the more and more I think I will miss. Glad I've gotten to get to know you and share this experience with you!

Stina said...

I can't believe you guys are finished. And, now..back to Washington. How fun! Good luck with everything. Any final hurrahs with Kelli before you go?

Celeste Pearson said...

I think I will miss those places for you too! They sound so fun. I don't think Washington has anything like those, although I think you are a pro at finding cool places. And I love that the covered part of the pool is for pasty people. Is there a sign posted that says you have to be pasty to be under it??

Sarah Anne said...

I sure hope Adam is looking for work around Portland/Vancouver area too! Because we have at least 3 community pools, a Cheesecake Factory, a CPK, and tons of other incredible restaurants so close. You also have a lot of family down here as well. Fred Meyer has a kid playland-free babysitting.
I'm sorry you're leaving your life for the past 4-5 years. I'm also so excited for you guys. Love you and miss you. Can't wait 'til your closer.

Ana Lee said...

haha bitter sweet.

Rachel said...

I am so not going to miss the potholes either! They drive me crazy. I am so going to miss you guys though. I am getting so depressed about you guys leaving. I hate change!

Summer said...

This time of year is always sad here, because so many friends move away. This year is going to be the saddest of all! I am loosing some of my best friends! I am sure going to miss sitting under the pasty cover at the pool with you! Ü Kirtland was awesome! And Giant Eagle is pretty cool too! I'm going to miss the Fall the most. I've started thinking about how this year will be a year of "lasts" in Ohio. Bittersweet.

Ditto on all the NOT GOING TO MISS things! I'd also add the complete lack of customer service at most stores.

Kelli said...

What?! No "only 2 hours from a super cool sister" ??!! I wish we had a swimming place like you do, the kids would love that (speaking of pasty skin, you better have sunscreened Jack!). We'll miss you too. Let the countdown begin!

Nana Lynda said...

I will almost miss you being there. It has been so much fun visiting there. I had (have) tears in my eyes thinking of not going back. I will mostly miss seeing you in the pageant and the whole area around Nauvoo. The Barbeque place. (I cannot spell)(tears in the way). How weird, I never thought I would be feeling this way. But so glad you will be closer.