Monday, July 23, 2012

Moving....

We put an offer down on a house last year... and it fell through. Apparently if we had countered back a couple thousand more they would have accepted it, but our real estate agent felt like they wanted to sell back to Fannie Mae no matter what. So that was our first major disappointment in buying a home. We loved the house, it was move-in ready, and had almost no work to be done. We ended up putting another offer down on a house down the street from it. It is the exact same floor plan, and it even had a little bit bigger backyard, but it was way more work. It had navy, hot pink, dark brown and dusty blue walls. On top of that, it had gross windows, floors that were coming up and holes in the wall. Well, surprises still happen and our offer was accepted. Then the work started.

Adam, my mom, Celeste and her husband Bryan, and my dad and I ended up painting almost every room. Well, I didn't really paint a lot. I'm not a painter. I was ready to pay someone else to do it. Thankfully my husband and family stepped up and totally helped out. There are still baseboards that need to be replaced (the original owner did a crappy job painting and got ugly paint all over the place) and the door to the laundry room is still missing. The carpets have seen better days but carpet cleaners did a great job, and the kitchen floor needs replaced. Badly.

On the plus side? The rooms are good sized, the master bedroom is huge and has a walk in closet, the bonus room is great for the kids, and it has a walk in pantry. And I love it.

We ended up painting all the rooms a beige color, except the kitchen which is still white. I'll work on that another day. The bathrooms are all white too, all saved for another day. The girls bedrooms are both pink (thank my mother for that but they looove their rooms) and my bedroom is grey. I'm going for the grey/yellow thing.

The color wasn't bad, it was just too dark for that side of the house. And the white spots are where the drywall guy had to fix holes and stuff. Yeah. Awesome.
Adam and I had to come tape off the rooms to be painted. The kids were really good at playing with the DS or watching movies while we worked.
Not that dark dusty blue was a bad color, it was just too much for me. And hard to match any furniture to. This is supposed to be a formal dining room, but it seemed weird to have a dining room next to a dining room without a door separating them. This room eventually will be a TV/family room. When we get a TV. And furniture.
Kitchen/dining room. See how it would be weird to have a table next to a table? I thought it was weird. I want to upgrade the cabinets and put on a granite countertop eventually. And I want it to come out a little to make a little breakfast bar too. See the cute little bathroom on the left? I want that to be a light aqua and white. Someday...
Looking back towards the front door. See how deep it is? Now we just need furniture to fill it :) It's hard going to from a small apartment to a large house!
Kitchen. Not the biggest, but the biggest I've ever had. I love the counter space and seriously have tons of drawers and stuff to put things in.
Walk in pantry. This separates the kitchen and garage. I love being able to store lots of stuff in here. I may upgrade the shelves from the wire ones to others that are more sturdy, but this will work for now.
Stairs (covered in plastic to keep paint off). These are still white walls, but hopefully get painted beige soon. The previous renters in the house did a number on the walls (hence not getting their deposit back).
Bonus room that has already been painted beige. I like it being neutral colors. And it's plenty of room for the toys, TV and some couches.
The other half of the bonus room. All the kids rooms shoot off of this room, including their bathroom. The one you see is Olivia's. She got the bigger room, Jack the second and Madelynn the smallest.
Olivia's room. She now has a desk and bed in there and literally is in here all day long. I rarely see her. She really does like her independence, especially after having to share a room for the past 4 years.
Laundry room. I still need a door for this...
Did I mention the master bedroom was yellow? Like bright, hurt-your-eyes yellow? Yeah, it was amazing. There was also this mirror thing up that had to get taken down and fixed by the drywall guy. So weird. We almost went with the grey you see, but it was way too dark for me. We went for a lighter color :)
Walk in closet. So nice, but there are no shelves. And there still aren't. For now we have some things hanging, most of it is in piles on our floor until we have the time to go get a closet system. We'll see. It's really not on the top of our list of things to get for the house. And that list is loooong :)

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Yay for house pictures!! I have been dying to see it! Okay I am sooooo jealous of that enormous walk-in pantry! That is awesome! Wow there are a lot of exclamation points in this comment. I am obviously excited and living vicariously through you since it seems we will never own a house:) I want to see pics of the new paint too. I bet the kids are loving having their very own rooms. I'm so excited for you!

Kelli said...

Jealous of your house, it's about what I would want for mine...except for a bigger backyard. i'm jealous you have a house to do your pinterest stuff on :)

Ana Lee said...

Amazing! So excited for you guys!