Monday, January 9, 2012

Savior of the World

This past summer/fall our entire family participated in the Savior of the World musical. It was a multi-stake production with people from all over Pierce County and it was amazing! It started out with just Olivia and I auditioning, then somehow Adam got looped into the whole thing and ended up with the role of Peter (who has a ton of lines in the second act). Jack and Olivia were angels (uh, Madelynn didn't participate for obvious reasons) and I was Joanna (one of the women at the tomb) in the second act. We had practice every Thursday night and every Saturday from September to November, with performances the first two weekends in November.

We made so many friends and memories in the production. It was great to spend time as a family, even if it was a sacrifice to be at the church late on Thursdays (my kids weren't in bed until 10pm on practice nights and way later on performance nights), be there all morning on Saturdays and then be at all the performances (Thursday, Friday, TWO on Saturday, then Friday and TWO more on Saturday). It paid off though because we had so much fun. We met people we would have not met otherwise and the musical itself is just awesome. Beautiful music, plus we had beautiful singers to sing it! Olivia is already asking when the next Multi-stake production will happen! (In the summer! Yay!)

Thanks to Celeste and Bryan and their family and my mom and dad for watching Madelynn for us sooo many times so we didn't have to worry about her while we were practicing or performing!
This was how we would find Jack pretty much any time he was not needed on stage. Next to an outlet so he could plug in his DS and play (and it kept him really quiet!)
Olivia was in the first act with Adam and I as our daughter (shocker) for some family scenes. She loves being on stage a lot.
My costume. I ended up taking it in (a lot) and taking off the weird kimono-style sleeves and it ended up looking much better. Well, as good as a sack dress can look.
Olivia and Jack sang in the angel choir during intermission. It was a great way to lure the audience back in after a few minutes of break and to set the tone for the second act, which starts at the tomb.
Peter (Adam) with Thomas (who is Jonathan, one of my sister-in-law Ana Lee's cousins, we figured this out after being around each other for like two months!) and John.
My cousin Austin played the angel proclaiming to the shephers, and I am at the very top on the left as part of the angel choir.

See? I'm there, I promise!
Jack and Olivia were part of the children's angel choir that sang "Glory to God in the highest! And peace on earth, good will to men!" And don't worry, this was dress rehearsal and Jack did get a costume that fit him (not this one that was obviously meant for a 2 year old!)
The whole scene. This was my favorite, and I always got a little teary eyed seeing the kids come out and sing in their sweet voices.

There were some professional pictures taken during the actual production and maybe I will post those later once I actually download them (if they are still available!). We had a wonderful experience and the place was packed every night. I can't wait for the next show!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

What an amazing experience for you guys to do all together! I'm jealous. The kids really do look like angels! I love Jack's tiny angel dress:)

Kelli said...

Isn't there a video available? I want to actually see it! I wish our stake did a production like that, it would be amazing! And you ought to tell Jack's friend in the first pic that that's not how we sit in a dress :)