Sunday, January 17, 2010

Our Cruise Part 1: New Orleans

The day after Christmas, Adam and I flew to New Orleans with Bryan and Celeste. It was really hard to leave the kids, even though I knew they were in more than capable hands with my mother-in-law. I have a tough time leaving my kids any time, whether it's a day or a week, and I have never left Madelynn for more than a couple of hours at a time. So, after crying my eyes out the night before and once on the plane, I was okay for the rest of the week as long as I didn't think about it too much!

We landed in New Orleans and met up with Kelli, Jeremiah, Kory and Ana Lee. While we were waiting for our bags, we wondered how we were getting from the airport to the hotel, and I noticed a guy in a black suit holding a sign that said "HJELM", which is my maiden name. I said, "Uh, is that a limo driver?" and my brother said yes, that he and my parents had decided to book a limo to take us all to the hotel. Apparently, a limo was cheaper for the eight of us instead of a taxi van or two taxis. Yeah for us!



After we settled into the Hampton, we went out to wander the French Quarter. Our hotel was a couple blocks from Bourbon Street so we walked down there to see the sights and find a place to eat. Bourbon Street was like a whole different country! There were performers playing music and these guys painted all silver and gold who stood as still as still as statues until you paid them and then they would dance. It was so good! And people would rent out the balconys on Bourbon Street for parties and they were throwing Mardi Gras beads. I gathered a lot for the kids (after I Lysoled them!). There were also lots of naughty stores and clubs on the street with really naughty pictures out front and these guys who would yell out at tourists to come in to their club. We ended up eating dinner at a local restaurant who served a lot of fresh seafood and cajun dishes.

Kelli and Jeremiah walking down Bourbon Street. It was dark so I couldn't take great pictures, but it was so fun I had to take them anyway!

My dad, Rick, apparently owns a cabaret on Bourbon Street. (That is him, leaning against the lamp post)

The next morning we got up and walked to the Mississippi River. The architecture on the buildings was beautiful. We could also see the water line from the hurricane flooding on most of the buildings. It was about three feet high! We walked to an old Catholic cathedral and a park across the street. We finally made it to the river, which was big and brown. On the way back to the hotel, we stopped at Cafe Beignet, where we picked up some hot, fresh beignets. They are French doughnuts that they fry up and then sprinkle with tons of powdered sugar. They are so good, they were worth the half an hour wait! I literally want to go back there just to get the beignets!

Proof I was there!

A lot of the area is under construction still, although the French Quarter was not as flooded as some other areas were. But I love the arches and the balconys and the iron work.

Here is their beautiful court house. And the back of Jeremiah's head.

Adam and I in front of the cathedral, and Celeste being silly. I don't think she thought she was in our picture, but she was!

Me, Kelli and Celeste.

Do you see thebig white thing under the bridge on the right side? That's our cruise ship!

Adam and I, and the brown thing the back is the Mississippi River.

Up next... THE CRUISE!

7 comments:

Rachel said...

How cool! I've always wanted to see New Orleans. My Dad has been there and told me about that beignet shop. He said it's worth it to go to New Orleans just to get one! I can't wait for the cruise post! That is so cool that you got to go with all your siblings, that would be so much fun.

Celeste Pearson said...

Haha! The brown thing in the back in the Mississippi! I love it! It's funny because I think I imagined some gorgeous river, and it, well, wasn't. And the beignets!!! Yummy! I want one so bad!

Oh, and thanks for posting that awesome pic of me. It's on. Oh, it's on.

Kelli said...

Woohoo, photo wars! As long as I'm not involved :) Did you try your beignet mix yet? Mine wasn't nearly as good as the real ones. And how come you didn't mention in your blog that you totally went into some of those Bourbon Street clubs..hahaha! Glad you're not being a blogging slacker anymore!!!

Ana Lee said...

Love the pic of the 3 of you girls, that's a good one!

Summer said...

New Orleans sounds like fun! I've always wanted to go, but now I want to go even more to taste those beignets! YUM! I can't wait to see your next post! Bring on the cruise!

Jon and Caprice said...

Can't wait to see cruise pics! I am so jealous, I need a vacation right now!! Glad you guys had fun.

Carrie Anne said...

awesome!!! now i want to go to new orleans for a day or two & experience that! how fun for you guys! can't wait to see the rest of your pictures!!