Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The End of an Era

What used to be known as "dinky" and most recently "drinky" (don't ask, I don't know where Olivia comes up with those names), is now "broken". Yes, I know, Olivia's lovey, her blanket that I lovingly crocheted for her before she was born, is no more. But wipe away your tears, my sad friends, as I have wiped away mine, and I'll start from the beginning...

Olivia, for some reason, chose the pink and white blanket I crocheted her as her "lovey", or her special thing that she attached to. She slept with it. She took it to church, doctor's appointments, car rides, restaurants, and so on. If she was sad, she cried for it and it was one of the few things to calm her down. And she ate it. Yes, ate it. She would bite it and chew on the fuzz she got. I know, gross. I told her that too but she kept doing it.
A couple of days ago, Olivia was sitting next to her blanket and I glanced down at it and to my horror... I saw a hole. I picked it up and examined it. Not one hole, as I first thought, but two. My heart sank. I remembered finishing that blanket in the boring social worker trainings I sat through while 7 months pregnant, and tying off the last piece of yarn just days before Olivia was born because Adam said I wouldn't get it done before she was born and I had to prove him wrong (See? I'm always right!).
I held back tears and showed it to Adam. We told Olivia she broke her blanket because she kept trying to eat it. She didn't seem phased, which broke my heart more. Finally, I told her she was grounded from it while I figured out what to do with it (do i redo it? do I try and fix the impossible? HELP!).
And the worst part? She doesn't need it anymore. She needed it while she had it, but now that it's out of sight, she's fine. She sleeps without it, and only asks for it when she spots it on top of the entertainment center. She tells me "Lala broke drinky" and I say, "Yes, you did, and it made mommy sad." She looks at me with those wide eyes and says "Sorry, Mom" and gives me a hug. Maybe I'll make her another one, and put this one away for safe keeping. But I'll wait for the other one once she's outgrown her habit of eating yarn. I'm currently taking suggestions on what color combination to crochet next. Any ideas?

7 comments:

Stina said...

I had no idea you crocheted at all. What a cute blankie!! Maybe you could teach me how to crochet when Adam opens his practice in Utah...

Kelli said...

You almost had me in tears, she loved that drinky!!! Colors? Um, something not so femme...like green and yellow?

Carissa Poyfair said...

Clover Park colors? Are you crazy? And why not femme? She's a girl who wants to wear pink every day!

Kelli said...

Oh yeah, I forgot they were CP colors. I was just giving you a new idea away from her old drinky. I have boys, I never see pink! Um, I'm out of ideas.

Celeste Pearson said...

Oh - you almost made me cry! But don't forget, I'm pregnant and cry at almost everything (I can't watch the news anymore - it has become a sobfest). Anyway, I saw this awesomely painted wall in one of my magazines and I think the pattern would make a great drinky. It was large stripes of pale yellow with smaller stripes of mint green and pink alternating. Like big yellow, little green, big yellow, little pink, big yellow, etc. You could even separate the colors with white or change the colors, like have purple instead of green or pink or something. I know, my idea rocks. Say goodbye to the drinky for me!

Nana Lynda said...

Oh how sad. It is a good thing that she is growing up. I can't imagine it going to school with her. But it was so cute to see her with it when she was young. It almost made me cry also. Good thing I was warned.
Nana

Stina said...

Despite the comment you made on my blog, I'm not in denial about you moving to Utah. You are in denial about not moving to Utah. Come to grips, Carissa (and especially Adam). It will happen! (Do I sound psycho here...would it change the tone if I added a smiley face?) :)